'American Idol' Wants Simon Cowell for 3 More Years
While it chose to let go Paula Abdul, 19 Entertainment is not ready to lose Simon Cowell yet. A negotiation for at least three more seasons has been ongoing between the "American Idol" judge and the production house. CKX, the parent company of 19, has also given their seal of approval for this.
"We've heard from Fox, who has asked us for approval for Simon Cowell to appear for three more years on 'Idol,' " CKX chairman Robert Sillerman confirmed to THR. Cowell's contract is supposed to end after this season but he was in talks for a two-year extension this summer.
"They, in their negotiations with Cowell, have asked us to pre-approve him not only for 'American Idol' '09, which has begun taping, but they have also asked us for approval for '10 and '11, indicating to us that they're finishing their negotiation with Cowell. We did grant approval for that quite obviously," Sillerman continued.
There was no number mentioned, but THR said the new pact could be $45 million per year, a $9million raise from the current contract.
Paula Abdul chose to walk out of the singing competition show after the deal did not work out. She reportedly asked for $10 million per annum but FOX, which is the one paying the judges' salary, won't give more than half of it. On contrary, host Ryan Seacrest was given a three-year contract worth $45 million.
More American Idol News
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Wants to Adopt Baby With British Boyfriend
- Back at It! Natalie Portman Returns to Work After Giving Birth to Daughter Amalia
- Cara Delevingne Sports Bald Head on 'Life in a Year' Filming Set
- Elton John Cancels Entire Las Vegas Shows Due to 'Unusual Bacterial Infection'
- Finding 'Comfort,' Brad Pitt Plans to Buy New Place in L.A. Arts District After Angelina Jolie Split
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Star Jesse Williams and Wife Split After Nearly 5 Years of Marriage
- Hollywood Writers Authorize a Strike. Will It Repeat the 2007 WGA Strike?
- Ben Affleck Steps Out for First Time Since Filing for Divorce From Jennifer Garner