'G.I. Joe' Sequel Going Into Production Soon
"G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra" has done better than what Paramount Pictures expected it to be, and thus more firm words stating a sequel project to the live-action adaptation is being developed have been uttered. According to Los Angeles Times, the studio's vice chairman, Rob Moore, has confirmed that the sequel "will soon go into development".
All of the "G.I. Joe" lead actors are contractually obligated to return for another installment. Some of whom, which included Channing Tatum, Marlon Wayans, Sienna Miller and Rachel Nichols, had admitted they are locked for the follow-up movie during an Australian Press Conference for the film. However, director Stephen Sommers is not.
During 2009 Teen Choice Awards, Marlon Wayans who plays Ripcord in the film told E! Online about his certainty of the sequel being made. "They will make a sequel," he said. "That's the thing about Hollywood. They will make a sequel and sequel to the sequel and then a sequel to the sequel's sequel." On the occasion, he also pointed out possibility of spin-offs. "I think they'll probably go with Snake Eyes [played by Ray Park] first," he shared. "Although I could probably whoop Snake Eyes' ass."
"G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra" is based on the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero toy franchise. Directed by the "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" producer, it stars Dennis Quaid as General Hawk, Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Cobra Commander and Christopher Eccleston as Destro among others.
Opened in theaters August 7, the action adventure movie nabbed #1 place at North American box office over the three-day weekend. Selling $54.7 million worth of ticket sales, it secured a spot among the best August openings in history for a non-sequel. Overseas, it raked in $44.1 million from 35 territories, bringing the movie's earning to a worldwide total of $175 million.
- Oscar Accountants Issue an Apology Over Best Picture Blunder
- Halle Berry Rocks Big Curly Locks at the Academy Awards
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Hillary's America' Are Top Losers at Razzie Awards
- Nicole Kidman Passionately Kisses Keith Urban as He Naughtily Grabs Her Bum on Oscars' Red Carpet
- 'The Walking Dead' 7.12 Sneak Peeks: More Guns, More People, More Time
- President Donald Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Following Tension With Press
- 'Cars 3' New Extended Teaser Introduces the Next Generation of Racers
- Lea Michele Gets Naked in Bed With a Guy Before Oscars