Jay-Z, Yeah Yeah Yeahs Paying Tribute to Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch
Jay-Z performed at All Points West Festival to fill in the shoes of Beastie Boys who canceled their show because their vocalist/bassist Adam Yauch was diagnosed with cancer. In the July 31 performance, the rapper paid tribute to Adam by singing the band's 1986 classic "No Sleep Till Brooklyn".
During the tribute set, Jay-Z changed the song's lines "Beastie Boys at the Garden, cold kickin' it live" to "Jay-Z, All Points West, kickin' it live." After completing the track, he continued with his own songs, two of which were "Brooklyn Go Hard" and "Run This Town".
In addition to Jay-Z, Yeah Yeah Yeahs also dedicated their performance to Adam Yauch. "Listen up," lead singer Karen O told the crowd. "New York ... New Jersey ... Yeah Yeah Yeahs - it's a match made in heaven. We love you so god damn much. And we send much love to Beastie Boys and our friend Adam." Then, the band launched into an acoustic version of their single "Maps".
Another big star receiving tribute during the New Jersey annual music festival was Michael Jackson. Jay-Z covered Jackson Five's song "I Want You Back" before shouting, "We don't mark death, we celebrate life, so don't wait until someone is gone to tell them you love them." He then added that Michael would have been thrilled to see his albums back in the top ten of U.S. charts.
More Jay-Z News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story