Jay-Z, Yeah Yeah Yeahs Paying Tribute to Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch
Jay-Z performed at All Points West Festival to fill in the shoes of Beastie Boys who canceled their show because their vocalist/bassist Adam Yauch was diagnosed with cancer. In the July 31 performance, the rapper paid tribute to Adam by singing the band's 1986 classic "No Sleep Till Brooklyn".
During the tribute set, Jay-Z changed the song's lines "Beastie Boys at the Garden, cold kickin' it live" to "Jay-Z, All Points West, kickin' it live." After completing the track, he continued with his own songs, two of which were "Brooklyn Go Hard" and "Run This Town".
In addition to Jay-Z, Yeah Yeah Yeahs also dedicated their performance to Adam Yauch. "Listen up," lead singer Karen O told the crowd. "New York ... New Jersey ... Yeah Yeah Yeahs - it's a match made in heaven. We love you so god damn much. And we send much love to Beastie Boys and our friend Adam." Then, the band launched into an acoustic version of their single "Maps".
Another big star receiving tribute during the New Jersey annual music festival was Michael Jackson. Jay-Z covered Jackson Five's song "I Want You Back" before shouting, "We don't mark death, we celebrate life, so don't wait until someone is gone to tell them you love them." He then added that Michael would have been thrilled to see his albums back in the top ten of U.S. charts.
More Jay-Z News
- BET Awards 2016: Drake and Future Among First Winners
- BET Awards 2016: See Alicia Keys, Janelle Monae, Karrueche Tran's Showstopping Styles on Red Carpet
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Gets Striptease From Mariah Carey's Dancer on Vegas Stage
- Aziz Ansari Puts Donald Trump on Blast in Scathing Op-Ed Over Anti-Muslim Remarks
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die