'Lost' Actor In Talks for 'The Black Panther' Role
A casting report for "The Black Panther" has been brought up to the surface by Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje. During an interview with MTV at the red carpet of this year's San Diego Comic Con, the actor who plays Mr. Eko in ABC's survivor drama "Lost" fessed up that he may become the Black Panther, stating "We're talking to Marvel about 'Black Panther.' "
Though gushing about the negotiation, the actor who will be seen as Heavy Duty in the forthcoming "G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra" noted that he is still in early talks. "This is the first round, so you know, hopefully they'll look at 'G.I. Joe' and see the potential," he revealed. "But it's about time we have a black superhero, isn't it?"
The 41-year-old additionally expressed his hope for the film to get the green light. "He's from a fictional village in Africa and the timing is so right for that kind of character to come through," he said. "And while I'm in my prime, this is the time. We've got [U.S. President Barack] Obama, now we need something on screen to represent, so... 'Panther,' man."
The Black Panther first made his appearance in 1966 through Marvel's "Fantastic Four" comics. Created by writer-editor Stan Lee and penciller-co-plotter Jack Kirby, he is one of the first modern black superheroes, and has fought alongside The Fantastic Four, The Avengers and Captain America. Coming to New York City from the fictional African nation of Wakanda, he has helped his homeland when it was on the brink of civil war and also returned to America to fight the Ku Klux Klan.
More Black Panther News
- 'Modern Family' to Make History by Casting Transgender Child Actor
- New 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Set Pic Sees Tom Holland Suiting Up as the Webslinger in Queens
- 'Scream Queens' 2.03 Preview Teases Bad Blood Between Chad and Brock
- Courteney Cox on Jennifer Aniston Dragged Into Brangelina Divorce: 'It's Not About Her'
- Rep Denies Lady GaGa Is Having Baby 'on Her Own'
- Get Your First Look at Nick Jonas in New 'Jumanji' Movie
- Report: Kourtney Kardashian Is Expecting Baby No. 4 With Scott Disick
- Taylor Swift's Squad Reportedly Abandons Her After Her 'Embarrassing Feuds and Breakups'