'Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen' Rocks North American Box Office
"Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" has marked the first mega-blockbuster launch of the year. Opened Wednesday, June 24 with an impressive bow of $60.6 million, the sequel of 2007 "Transformers" sold $109 million worth of tickets over the three-day weekend which begins Friday, June 26, and thus ended the week on top of the North American box office.
Over the course of five-day at the theaters, the Michael Bay-directed movie snagged approximately $200.1 million. The massive earning is enough to land "Revenge of the Fallen" a second place on the best five-day haul of all time chart, but still places it behind "The Dark Knight" with its five days bow of $203.8 million last year. Nonetheless, the score can change when the fixed tally comes in.
Played on approximately 10,000 screens at 4,234 sites, the flick starring Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox also scores the biggest June opening weekend ever in addition to the highest-grossing non-holiday and non-Friday opening weekend. On the overall three-day opening weekend records, it ranked seventh right behind 2007's "Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End". Moreover, it had the biggest IMAX weekend ever with $14.4 million, topping "Star Trek" $8.5 million haul.
Overseas, the action fantasy sequel recorded an explosive opening with $162 million from 9,910 screens. Still, it failed to break foreign records set by Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End" as well as Warner Bros.' "Spider-Man 3" and "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix". The overseas bow gave "Revenge of the Fallen" a worldwide total of $387.3 million so far.
Overshadowed by "Revenge of the Fallen" success was last week's champ, "The Proposal". The romantic comedy movie experienced a 44.8% drop in sales and raked in only $18.6 million to be added to the total of $69.2 million. Hot on "Proposal" tail was "The Hangover" which placed third with $17 million in its fourth week.
Disney/Pixar's "Up", in the meantime, slipped to the fourth slot. The animation film about a grumpy old man on an adventure of a lifetime reeled in another $13.1 million to the total earning of $175 million. Rounding up top five box office was newcomer "My Sister's Keeper". The drama movie that pairs up Cameron Diaz and Abigail Breslin collected $12.4 million on its opening weekend.
Top Ten Movies at Weekend Box Office for June 19 - 21:
- "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" - $109 million
- "The Proposal" - $18.6 million
- "The Hangover" - $17 million
- "Up" - $13.1 million
- "My Sister's Keeper" - $12.4 million
- "Year One" - $6 million
- "The Taking of Pelham 123" - $5.5 million
- "Star Trek" - $3.7 million
- "Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian" - $3.6 million
- "Away We Go" - $1.7 million
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics