'Nurse Jackie' Gets 2nd Season After Overnight Rating
Showtime has a big faith in "Nurse Jackie". The series described as "wicked, heartbreaking and funny" is renewed for a second season, only a day after the pilot aired on the pay TV channel on Monday, June 8. In the order, 13 episodes are reserved.
Reason of the renewal is based on the fact that the series became the highest debut for Showtime. "Jackie" attracted 1 million viewers on the 10.30/9.30c slot and additional 350,000 on the repeat, making it gathering 1.35 million viewers overnight. The number surpasses record holder "Secret Diary of a Call Girl" that opened to 950,000 viewers last year on the same night, Monday.
"Jackie" may owe the huge rating to heavy promotion prior to the premiere as well as the lead-in from "Weeds". The dark comedy about marijuana dealer, absorbed 1.65 million viewers for its season 5 premiere at 10/9c.
However, the premiere of "Jackie" did not only withdraw viewers but also criticism. The New York State Nurses Association is demanding Showtime to post a disclaimer at the end of the series. The association argues that pill-popping Jackie is a demoralization of the real nurses' life. Chief Executive Officer Tina Gerardi said in a letter to the network, "We believe that the public's view of nurses is influenced by TV dramas, and we have yet to see an accurate portrayal of what nurses really do."
In a response to the statement, Showtime has denied the request, reasoning that "Nurse Jackie" is a work of fiction which sole and foremost purpose is "entertainment".
- MTV VMAs 2016: Kanye West Debuts 'Fade' Music Video, Talks About Taylor Swift in Speech
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Not Married Despite That Ring on Her Finger
- 'Don't Breathe' Scares 'Suicide Squad' Away From Box Office's No. 1
- MTV VMAs 2016: Drake, Calvin Harris and Fifth Harmony Among Early Winners
- MTV VMAs 2016: Watch Rihanna, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj's Performances
- Ariana Grande Confirms She's Dating Mac Miller at 2016 MTV VMAs
- Frank Ocean Earns First No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 With 'Blonde'
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce Is Snow Queen, Kim Kardashian and Nicki Minaj Show Skin on Red Carpet