'Nurse Jackie' Gets 2nd Season After Overnight Rating
Showtime has a big faith in "Nurse Jackie". The series described as "wicked, heartbreaking and funny" is renewed for a second season, only a day after the pilot aired on the pay TV channel on Monday, June 8. In the order, 13 episodes are reserved.
Reason of the renewal is based on the fact that the series became the highest debut for Showtime. "Jackie" attracted 1 million viewers on the 10.30/9.30c slot and additional 350,000 on the repeat, making it gathering 1.35 million viewers overnight. The number surpasses record holder "Secret Diary of a Call Girl" that opened to 950,000 viewers last year on the same night, Monday.
"Jackie" may owe the huge rating to heavy promotion prior to the premiere as well as the lead-in from "Weeds". The dark comedy about marijuana dealer, absorbed 1.65 million viewers for its season 5 premiere at 10/9c.
However, the premiere of "Jackie" did not only withdraw viewers but also criticism. The New York State Nurses Association is demanding Showtime to post a disclaimer at the end of the series. The association argues that pill-popping Jackie is a demoralization of the real nurses' life. Chief Executive Officer Tina Gerardi said in a letter to the network, "We believe that the public's view of nurses is influenced by TV dramas, and we have yet to see an accurate portrayal of what nurses really do."
In a response to the statement, Showtime has denied the request, reasoning that "Nurse Jackie" is a work of fiction which sole and foremost purpose is "entertainment".
- Refusing to Enter Rehab, Lamar Odom Walks Out of Family's Intervention
- Kristen Bell Shares First Photos From Her Wedding While Tearing Up Talking About Hubby Dax Shepard
- Comic-Con: 'Justice League' Debuts First Footage, 'Wonder Woman' Gets First Trailer
- Watch Melissa McCarthy, Jodie Foster, Adam Sandler Ruin Their Han Solo Auditions on 'CONAN'
- People Are Upset Taylor Swift Uses Special Instagram Tool to Block Those Snake Emojis
- Artist of the Week: Stacy Ferguson
- Miranda Kerr Flaunts Huge Ring and Long Legs During First Outing Since Evan Spiegel's Proposal
- Comic-Con: 'Legion' Unveils First Footage. Take a Look at the X-Men TV Series