'Nurse Jackie' Gets 2nd Season After Overnight Rating
Showtime has a big faith in "Nurse Jackie". The series described as "wicked, heartbreaking and funny" is renewed for a second season, only a day after the pilot aired on the pay TV channel on Monday, June 8. In the order, 13 episodes are reserved.
Reason of the renewal is based on the fact that the series became the highest debut for Showtime. "Jackie" attracted 1 million viewers on the 10.30/9.30c slot and additional 350,000 on the repeat, making it gathering 1.35 million viewers overnight. The number surpasses record holder "Secret Diary of a Call Girl" that opened to 950,000 viewers last year on the same night, Monday.
"Jackie" may owe the huge rating to heavy promotion prior to the premiere as well as the lead-in from "Weeds". The dark comedy about marijuana dealer, absorbed 1.65 million viewers for its season 5 premiere at 10/9c.
However, the premiere of "Jackie" did not only withdraw viewers but also criticism. The New York State Nurses Association is demanding Showtime to post a disclaimer at the end of the series. The association argues that pill-popping Jackie is a demoralization of the real nurses' life. Chief Executive Officer Tina Gerardi said in a letter to the network, "We believe that the public's view of nurses is influenced by TV dramas, and we have yet to see an accurate portrayal of what nurses really do."
In a response to the statement, Showtime has denied the request, reasoning that "Nurse Jackie" is a work of fiction which sole and foremost purpose is "entertainment".
- Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux Hold Hands in NYC Following Split Rumors
- Backstreet Boys Joins Florida Georgia Line at iHeartRadio Music Festival. Plus Other Performances!
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors