'Thor' Finds Villain in Tom Hiddleston
The cast of "Thor" is finally filling up with the tapping in of Tom Hiddleston. On Monday, May 18, Marvel Studios announced that the award-winning British actor has been cast to portray Loki, Thor's half-brother and archenemy. This unveiling of Hiddleston came out soon after "Star Trek" actor Chris Hemsworth was revealed as the depicter of the god of thunder.
His appointment furthermore shot down speculation of a bigger name, in this case Josh Hartnett, being considered for the part. Variety reported that the studio leaned towards this relatively unknown actor because their idea is "to help auds ease into the property and get to know the character", stressing that, "an established actor would be a distraction".
An adaptation of the comic book franchise launched in 1962, "Thor" will be set in modern time. It tells the story of disabled medical student Donald Blake, whose alter ego is a hammer-wielding Norse god Thor. Paramount Pictures will distribute this Kenneth Branagh-directed film in theaters across the U.S. on May 20, 2011.
Tom Hiddleston is an English-born actor whose big screen credits include playing as Randolph Churchill in "The Gathering Storm", and tackling the leading role in Joanna Hogg's "Unrelated". He has starred alongside Kenneth Branagh in BBC miniseries "Wallander" and appeared together in a London stage production of "Ivanov".
More Thor News
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce and Adele Lead Nominations, Nick Jonas Is 'Disappointed' About His Snub
- Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Selena Gomez, Metallica to Perform at 2016 Global Citizen Concert
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support