'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' Rips Off North American Box Office
"X-Men Origins: Wolverine" has livened up to its expectation at the North American box office over the weekend. Projected to nab more than $70 million upon its release on Friday, May 1, the Gavin Hood-directed film has torn its way to the top spot at the ticket sales chart with $85.1 million after three days of screening at 4,099 sites.
Kicking off the summer season, the action fantasy movie starring Hugh Jackman opened lower than "X-Men: The Last Stand" which collected as much as $102.8 million when it was debuted in 2006. If ticket price inflation is taken into consideration, it also scored lower than 2003's "X2: X-Men United". However, it did pull in a higher number than the original "X-Men".
While scoring a relatively big bow over the weekend, "Wolverine" landed on the 15th slot among the top opening movies in summer, following "Spider-Man 2", "The Matrix Reloaded" and "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban". Among the summer kick-offs, this "X-Men" spin-off ranked behind "Spider-Man 3", "Spider-Man" and "Iron Man".
"Wolverine" aside, "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" came in second at the box office. The Matthew McConaughey-starring comedy debuted with $15.4 million. The estimated bow marked the least-attended start of all McConaughey romantic comedies, which included "Fool's Gold", "Failure to Launch", "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" and "The Wedding Planner".
Drama thriller "Obsessed" has dropped to the third slot. With a 57.9% decline in sales, the Screen Gems film toplined by Idris Elba, Beyonce Knowles and Ali Larter hauled in another $12.1 million to the total of $46.8 million. "17 Again", in the meantime, slipped to the fourth place this weekend, garnering $6.4 million. The last place of the top five belonged to "Monsters vs. Aliens", which earned $5.8 million in its sixth week in theaters.
Top Ten Movies at Weekend Box Office for May 1 - 3:
- "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" - $85.1 million
- "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" - $15.4 million
- "Obsessed" - $12.1 million
- "17 Again" - $6.4 million
- "Monsters vs. Aliens" - $5.8 million
- "The Soloist" - $5.7 million
- "Earth" - $4.3 million
- "Hannah Montana: The Movie" - $4.2 million
- "Fighting" - $4 million
- "State of Play" - $3.7 million
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic