'Obsessed' Knocks Down Box Office Contenders
"Obsessed" has won the battle for top slot at the North American box office this weekend. Projected to generate about $17 million, the drama thriller starring Beyonce Knowles, Ali Larter and Idris Elba took an estimated $28.5 million in ticket sales for Sony Corporation over the three days weekend.
This modern "Fatal Attraction" thriller scored the highest-grossing opening on record for a psycho stalker, erotic or "blank from hell" thriller. Grabbing $11.2 million on Friday, April 24, it rang up the highest opening day for an April thriller and knocked down previous champ, 2007's "Disturbia". Its opening day bow also marked the second highest ever for a Sony-Screen Gems release, behind "The Exorcism of Emily Rose".
It also has become Sony's second film to land atop the chart this year, after "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" captured the champion seat over the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend with $39.2 million. "Obsessed" has, in addition, marked Knowles' top-grossing debut since her feature film debut in 2002 with "Austin Powers in Goldmember".
Slipping down to the runner-up position was "17 Again". The movie toplined by Zac Efron dropped 50.8% in ticket sales and thus, collected only around $11.6 million in its second weekend screening. So far, this comedy movie has dug nearly $40 million in total sales.
The remaining top five box office were dominated by newcomers. "Fighting", "The Soloist" and "Earth" have landed in third, fourth and fifth respectively. Street fighting film, "Fighting", raked in about $11.4 million, while inspiring musical tale "Soloist" pulled in around $9.7 million and Disney's documentary "Earth" brought in an estimated $8.6 million.
Top Ten Movies at Weekend Box Office for April 24 - 26:
- "Obsessed" - $28.5 million
- "17 Again" - $11.6 million
- "Fighting" - $11.4 million
- "The Soloist" - $9.7 million
- "Earth" - $8.6 million
- "Monsters vs. Aliens" - $8.5 million
- "State of Play" - $6.9 million
- "Hannah Montana: The Movie" - $6.4 million
- "Fast and Furious" - $6.1 million
- "Crank: High Voltage" - $2.4 million
- Lee Sung Kyung and Nam Joo Hyuk Are Reportedly Dating
- Jenna Dewan Reportedly Joins Channing Tatum at 'Magic Mike Live' Premiere Due to Trust Issues
- Watch Preview of Ty Dolla $ign and Lil Yachty's Collaboration for 'Beach House 3'
- George and Amal Clooney Reportedly to Spend Over $1 M on a Royal-Like Delivery Experience
- 'Delusional' Drake Is Still Not Over Rihanna, but She Won't Give Him Another Chance
- Perrie Edwards Celebrates Footballer Beau Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's Win With a Dance
- Kris Jenner Reportedly Planning New Reality Show Featuring Her Grandkids
- Sara Sampaio Exposes Nipples in See-Through Bustier