'Obsessed' Knocks Down Box Office Contenders
"Obsessed" has won the battle for top slot at the North American box office this weekend. Projected to generate about $17 million, the drama thriller starring Beyonce Knowles, Ali Larter and Idris Elba took an estimated $28.5 million in ticket sales for Sony Corporation over the three days weekend.
This modern "Fatal Attraction" thriller scored the highest-grossing opening on record for a psycho stalker, erotic or "blank from hell" thriller. Grabbing $11.2 million on Friday, April 24, it rang up the highest opening day for an April thriller and knocked down previous champ, 2007's "Disturbia". Its opening day bow also marked the second highest ever for a Sony-Screen Gems release, behind "The Exorcism of Emily Rose".
It also has become Sony's second film to land atop the chart this year, after "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" captured the champion seat over the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend with $39.2 million. "Obsessed" has, in addition, marked Knowles' top-grossing debut since her feature film debut in 2002 with "Austin Powers in Goldmember".
Slipping down to the runner-up position was "17 Again". The movie toplined by Zac Efron dropped 50.8% in ticket sales and thus, collected only around $11.6 million in its second weekend screening. So far, this comedy movie has dug nearly $40 million in total sales.
The remaining top five box office were dominated by newcomers. "Fighting", "The Soloist" and "Earth" have landed in third, fourth and fifth respectively. Street fighting film, "Fighting", raked in about $11.4 million, while inspiring musical tale "Soloist" pulled in around $9.7 million and Disney's documentary "Earth" brought in an estimated $8.6 million.
Top Ten Movies at Weekend Box Office for April 24 - 26:
- "Obsessed" - $28.5 million
- "17 Again" - $11.6 million
- "Fighting" - $11.4 million
- "The Soloist" - $9.7 million
- "Earth" - $8.6 million
- "Monsters vs. Aliens" - $8.5 million
- "State of Play" - $6.9 million
- "Hannah Montana: The Movie" - $6.4 million
- "Fast and Furious" - $6.1 million
- "Crank: High Voltage" - $2.4 million
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story