Coldplay Deny Copying Joe Satriani's Song for 'Viva La Vida'
British band Coldplay deny claim that they have illegally sampled Joe Satriani's song "If I Could Fly" for "Viva La Vida". Attorneys for the band argue that any similarities between "Viva La Vida" and "If I Could Fly" are not enough to warrant damages.
Furthermore, coldplay's attorneys also say that Joe's song "lacks originality" and so shouldn't receive copyright protection. In response to the statement, Joe's lawyer, Howard E. King, calls Coldplay's denial as "typical for copyright infringement cases and he reiterated that he thought the matter could have been resolved without a lawsuit," according to The Associated Press.
Back in December 2008, Joe Satriani sued Coldplay over copyright infringement, accusing the band allegedly taking "substantial original portions" of "If I Could Fly" and using them in "Viva La Vida". Following the lawsuit, Coldplay released a statement, insisting that "if there are any similarities between our two pieces of music, they are entirely coincidental."
"Viva La Vida" is the second single lifted from Coldplay's fourth studio album "Viva La Vida". Containing historical and religious references, the song has been nominated for various awards, including 2009 Grammy Awards in Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals category.
As for "If I Could Fly", the track comes from Joe Satriani's 2004 studio effort titled "Is There Love in Space?". The song is written by Joe himself.
More Coldplay News
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding