Artist of the Week: Taylor Hicks
After being released from his contract with Arista Records, Taylor Hicks refuses to back off from music industry. Believing that "this is turning the page on a new chapter" in his career, he forms a record label Modern Whomp Records. Taking the advantage of "artistic freedom," he is back to studio, making music for his new album "The Distance" and plans to release it across U.S. on March 10.
In the new album, Taylor steps behind songwriting table, co-penning several songs including "Wedding Day Blues", "Seven Mile Breakdown", "Once Upon a Lover of Mine" and "Woman Gotta Have It". Teaming up with producer Simon Climie, who has recorded songs for Eric Clapton, Faith Hill and Carlos Santana, he also works with guitarist Doyle Bramhall II, bassist Nathan East and drummer Abe Laboriel Jr to provide the album's sounds.
"What's Right Is Right", the lead single off the new record has been available for digital purchase since January 27. Driven by funky keyboards and sax work, the mid-tempo song about love and commitment peaked at number 25 on Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks chart. A music video for the track has also been debuted, providing a look into the crooner performing in a dark lounge with his trademark soulful sound.
"I wanted to create that alone, James Dean feel, and get across my point of what true love is," Taylor says when referring to the romantic set behind the moody, and mature lyrics in the song. "There's a couple with something to overcome, an obstacle. But when you know it's real, what happens with one person happens with another. It also brings out the idea that there might be a little bit of longing for true love in me. I know true, real love is out there."
Since becoming the winner of the fifth season of "American Idol", Taylor Hicks has dropped self-titled debut album, which was certified platinum and peaked at number two on Billboard Hot 200. He has also toured through Asia, performing with Willie Nelson, Widespread Panic, The Allman Brothers Band as well as Jackson Browne. In the beginning of 2009, he embarks on a national U.S. tour with Grease. Fans can log on to MySpace to check his complete tour dates.
- New Couple Alert? Katy Perry and Chris Martin Are Spotted Holding Hands
- Super Junior's Leeteuk Gets Robbed in Switzerland
- Kardashian-Jenner Sisters Throw Surprise Birthday Party for Khloe
- Evidence of Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo's Rendezvous in Bali Revealed
- Living Life to the Fullest! Brad Pitt Caught Cozying Up to Sienna Miller and Elle Macpherson
- Louis Tomlinson Was Feeling Left Out of One Direction: 'What Have I Really Done to Contribute Here?'
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop Accused by NASA of Scamming Customers With Healing Stickers
- Liev Schreiber Spotted With Another Woman Amid Dating Rumors With Gerard Butler's Ex Morgan Brown