Oasis and Jonas Brothers Represent the Best and the Worst at NME Awards 2009
The ceremony of Shockwaves NME Awards 2009 has been wrapped up and it is unveiled that Oasis and Jonas Brothers are among the recipients for the annual music awards show for two completely different reasons. While Oasis were given the ultimate honor of being Best British Band, Jonas Brothers were handed out two of the Worst titles, Worst Band and Worst Album.
On Wednesday, February 25, at the O2 Academy Brixton, the Manchester band Oasis came out victorious over Muse and Radiohead among others. Though unable to attend the ceremony due to live commitments in Europe, the band sent acceptance video featuring also host Russell Brand. "This is ironic, we're being given Best British Band by the second best British comedian," Noel Gallagher jokingly said. "Thanks to all the readers who've voted... This has turned into a right bad idea..."
Meanwhile, musical trio Jonas Brothers picked up the most votes for Worst Band ahead of other nominees, including Oasis, Scouting For Girls, Tokio Hotel and Fall Out Boy. On the category of Worst Album, the pop rock band consisting of Kevin Jonas, Joe Jonas and Nick Jonas collected the unwanted award for their album, "A Little Bit Longer", 'winning' over Britney Spears' "Circus" and Coldplay's "Viva La Vida" among others.
Beside Oasis and Jonas Brothers, other winners included The Killers, Pete Doherty, MGMT and Muse. MGMT have brought home two NME statuettes for Best New Band and Best Track for their song "Time To Pretend". Additionally, U.S. 44th President Barack Obama has been hailed as Hero of the Year, while his predecessor George W. Bush was named Villain of the Year for the sixth time.
Full List of Winners for the Shockwaves NME Awards:
- Best British Band: Oasis
- Best International Band: The Killers
- Best Solo Artist: Pete Doherty
- Best New Band: MGMT
- Best Live Band: Muse
- Best Album: "Only By The Night", Kings of Leon
- Best Track: "Time To Pretend", MGMT
- Best Video: "My Mistakes Were Made For You", The Last Shadow Puppets
- Best Live Event: Glastonbury
- Best TV: The Mighty Boosh
- Best Dancefloor Filler: "Dance Wiv Me", Dizzee Rascal
- Best DVD: "At The Apollo", Arctic Monkeys
- Best Band Blog: Noel Gallagher / Oasis
- Best Venue: London Astoria
- Best Album Artwork: "HAARP", Muse
- Hero of the Year: Barack Obama
- Villain of the Year: George W Bush
- Best Dressed: Alexa Chung
- Worst Dressed: Amy Winehouse
- Worst Album: "A Little Bit Longer", Jonas Brothers
- Worst Band: Jonas Brothers
- Sexiest Male: Matt Bellamy
- Sexiest Female: Hayley Williams
- Best Website: YouTube
- Wait... What? Is Tiger Woods Saying He Doesn't Regret Cheating on Elin Nordegren?
- Marvel Pulls 'Invincible Iron Man' Cover After Accusations of 'Sexualizing' Its Underage Hero
- No More Sexy Selfies? Kim Kardashian Is Re-Emerging 'More Covered Up' and 'Less Make-Up'
- Drake Hints at Releasing New Music on His 30th Birthday. Get Details on His Celebration
- Blac Chyna Pokes Fun at Her Pregnancy Curves, Compares Herself to a Pokemon
- Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal's Love Turns to Hatred in 'Nocturnal Animals' First Full Trailer
- Jay-Z and Beyonce Are Both Upset With 'Nut Job' Kanye West Following His Rant
- Justin Bieber Scolds Concertgoers for Screaming at Manchester Show