Winners of 2009 Evening Standard British Film Awards Announced
Trophies of the 2009 Evening Standard British Film Awards have been handed out on Sunday, February 1. In a private dinner hosted by Standard editor Veronica Wadley, Steve McQueen's dramatisation of IRA hunger striker Bobby Sands' last days, "Hunger", has been hailed as Best Film, beating out "Frost/Nixon" and "Unrelated".
While "Hunger" won the top prize, "Slumdog Millionaire" director Danny Boyle and actress Kate Winslet were shunned away from the kudo they were up for. Boyle, who was named Best Director by the Directors Guild of America on Saturday, January 31, lost to "The Reader" director Stephen Daldry, and Winslet, who won two Golden Globes earlier this year for her performances in "The Reader" and "Revolutionary Road" has to see the Best Actress title go to "Julia" star, Tilda Swinton.
Other winners for this year's Evening Standard British Film Awards included Michael Sheen of "Frost/Nixon" and Pat Shortt of "Garage", who were in tie for Best Actor prize, and "In Bruges" writer Martin McDonagh, who was awarded with Best Screenplay kudo. Actress Sally Hawkins has been given the Peter Sellers Award for Comedy for her portrayal of irrepressibly free-spirited school teacher Poppy in "Happy-Go-Lucky".
Winners list of the 2009 Evening Standard British Film Awards:
- Best Film: "Hunger"
- Best Director: Stephen Daldry, "The Reader"
- Best Actor (tie): Michael Sheen, "Frost/Nixon" and Pat Shortt, "Garage"
- Best Actress: Tilda Swinton, "Julia"
- Technical Achievement: Mark Digby, production designer of "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Best Screenplay: Martin McDonagh, "In Bruges"
- Most Promising Newcomer: Director Joanna Hogg, "Unrelated"
- Peter Sellers Award for Comedy: Actress Sally Hawkins, "Happy-Go-Lucky"
- 'Glee' Star Charice Pempengco Changes Name to Jake Zyrus. Is She Transitioning?
- Girls Lined Up to Give Tom Cruise Blow Job on Set of 'Risky Business', Co-Star Reveals
- Courtney Stodden Strips Down to Tiny Underwear to Perform Striptease
- CL's Boobs Almost Pop Out of Her Plunging Black Dress at Chanel Exhibition
- 'Venom' to Feature Carnage as Its Main Villain
- Christina Perri Announces Engagement to Boyfriend Paul Costabile - See the Beautiful Ring!
- Is Kendall Jenner Feuding With Victoria's Secret Models?
- New 'Blade Runner 2049' Featurette Brings Harrison Ford Home, Hints at Uninvited Guest