'Watchmen' Soundtrack and Original Score to Be Released in March
"Watchmen" will have its soundtrack album and original score compilation released three days before it makes its debut in the U.S. theaters. On Thursday, January 22, Warner Sunset/Reprise Records announced that both of the movie's soundtrack and original score have been set to hit U.S. stores on March 3.
Through a press release, the recording company also let out that the soundtrack will include a cover version of Bob Dylan's "Desolation Row" by My Chemical Romance, recorded exclusively for the movie. Other than My Chemical Romance, other musicians featured in the album include Billie Holiday, Simon & Garfunkel, Janis Joplin, KC & The Sunshine Band and Nat King Cole.
While the soundtrack is compiled of tracks sung by those musicians, the Original Motion Picture Score contains music from Tyler Bates. Known for his surprising juxtapositions of music styles and flair for delicate and atmospheric touches of music compositions, Bates has scored for "300" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and was asked by director Zack Snyder to do the job.
Both of the soundtrack album and the original score compilation will be released in multiple configurations. On March 3, the physical CD and a digital album of the two will be made available, while on March 17, a vinyl edition of the soundtrack will be outed. In addition, Watchmen Music Collectors Edition 7" Box Set, containing 7 double-sided 7" picture discs of each Watchmen character, will be released on March 24.
Adapted from Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' comic book series of the same title, "Watchmen" follows superhero-turned-vigilante Rorschach as he investigates the murder of his former colleague and discovers much more than a simple homicide case. Written by David Hayter and Alex Tse, it features the likes of Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Billy Crudup, Matthew Goode, Jackie Earle Haley, Malin Akerman and Patrick Wilson. It will hit the U.S. big screen on March 6.
Tracklisting of "Watchmen" Soundtrack:
- Desolation Row - My Chemical Romance
- Unforgettable - Nat King Cole
- The Times They Are A-Changin' - Bob Dylan
- The Sound Of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
- Me & Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin
- I'm Your Boogie Man - KC & The Sunshine Band
- You're My Thrill - Billie Holiday
- Pruit Igoe & Prophecies - The Philip Glass Ensemble
- Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen
- All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
- Ride of the Valkyries - Budapest Symphony Orchestra
- Pirate Jenny - Nina Simone*
Tracklisting of "Watchmen" Original Motion Picture Score:
- Rescue Mission
- Don't Get Too Misty Eyed
- Tonight The Comedian Died
- Silk Spectre
- We'll Live Longer
- You Quit!
- Only Two Names Remain
- The American Dream
- Edward Blake - The Comedian
- The Last Laugh
- Prison Fight
- Just Look Around You
- Dan's Apocalyptic Dream
- Who Murdered Hollis Mason?
- What About Janie Slater?
- I'll Tell You About Rorschach
- It Was Me
- All That Is Good
- Requiem (Excerpted from Mozart's Requiem)
- I Love You Mom
- Kylie Jenner Bounces Back After Suffering From Food Poisoning
- AFI Cancels 'Birth of a Nation' Screening Amid Nate Parker Rape Trial Controversy
- Britney Spears Reveals She 'Almost Drowned' in Hawaii
- Kate Gosselin Sends Son Collin Away to Get Help for 'Special Needs'
- Leslie Jones' Nude Photos and Personal Information Leaked After Her Website Got Hacked
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef