'Paul Blart: Mall Cop' Captures Holiday Box Office
"Paul Blart: Mall Cop" keeps digging gold at the box office chart over the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend. After nailing the #1 slot of the three-day weekend box office, the Kevin James' latest comedy movie secures the revenue chart's top spot, hauling in $39.2 million over the four-day weekend.
According to Rentrak, with the nearly $40 million bow, "Paul Blart" easily becomes the second-best January opening behind "Cloverfield", which raked in $46.1 million over the four-day MLK weekend in 2008. Produced for $26 million, the PG-comedy has earlier landed atop the North American box office with $31.8 million over the three-day weekend.
While the top ten box office movies stay firm at their three-day weekend positions, all of them get a boost on the ticket sales following the MLK holiday. Second place "Gran Torino", which pulled in $22 million during the normal weekend, collected nearly $4 million more with $25.6 million. "My Bloody Valentine 3-D", in addition, grossed $24.1 million after four days of screening.
Hot on "My Bloody Valentine" tail is "Notorious". The George Tillman Jr.'s biopic drama is closing the gap with the horror thriller remake on the fourth place, bringing in $23.4 million from the 1,638 theaters it was screened during the holiday weekend. On the fifth slot is family comedy "Hotel for Dogs". Exceeding expectation, the movie toplined by Emma Roberts and Jake T. Austin debuted to $22.9 million from 3,271 theaters for the four-day weekend.
Top Ten Movies at Weekend Box Office for January 16 - 19:
- "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" - $39.2 million
- "Gran Torino" - $25.6 million
- "My Bloody Valentine 3-D" - $24.1 million
- "Notorious" - $23.4 million
- "Hotel for Dogs" - $22.9 million
- "Bride Wars" - $13.9 million
- "The Unborn" - $10.54 million
- "Defiance" - $10.51 million
- "Marley & Me" - $7.5 million
- "Slumdog Millionaire" - $7 million
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture