'Marley and Me' Breaks Box Office Record, Leads Christmas Day Openers of All Time
Fox 2000 Pictures' comedy movie "Marley & Me" has broken a box office record, earning $14.5 million in ticket sales, such amount that makes it the highest grossing film to ever open on December 25. The flick, co-starring Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston, breaks the previous record of $10.2 million set by 2001 biographical film about legendary boxing champion Muhammad Ali, titled "Ali."
Based on the best-selling book of the same title by John Grogan, "Marley & Me" tells the story of yellow Labrador dog, named Marley, adopted by Grogan, a columnist for the Philadelphia Inquirer, and his wife. Their idea was to give them a taste of parenthood, but the dog proved to be a hyperactive handful. He wreaks havoc, gets kicked out of obedience school and gets even worse when the children begin to arrive, yet becomes an indispensable part of the family.
Back on the box office chart, drama-fantasy-mystery "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," starring Brad Pitt as its leading male cast, comes in second place with $12 million, showing in 2,988 theaters. "Bedtime Stories", starring Adam Sandler, comes in 3rd place with an estimated $10.5 million in ticket sales.
The Top 10 Christmas Day Openers of All Time:
- "Marley & Me" ($14.5)
- "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" ($12 million)
- "Bedtime Stories" ($10.5 million)
- "Ali" ($10.2 million)
- "Catch Me If You Can" ($9.8 million)
- "Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem" ($9.5 million)
- "Dreamgirls" ($8.7 million)
- "Valkyrie" ($8.5 million)
- "Patch Adams" ($8 million)
- "Cheaper by the Dozen" ($7.8 million)
- 'Westworld' Star Responds to the Man in Black Theories
- Kylie Jenner Has a Good Reason Why She Mistook a Pig for a Chicken in Viral Clip
- 'The Walking Dead' 7.02 Sneak Peeks: Rick Relinquishes Control, Andrea Tours the Kingdom
- Kanye West Vows to Boycott Grammys if Frank Ocean Isn't Nominated
- See President Obama Joining Usher, Janelle Monae and More to Dance to Drake's 'Hotline Bling'
- New Look at Dafne Keen as X-23 in 'Logan' Uncovered
- Report: Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky Are on the Verge of Divorce
- Kings of Leon Scores First No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 With 'Walls'