The Four-Day Holiday Weekend Box Office Preview
A box office preview has been released by Entertainment Weekly in time with the four-day holiday weekend, giving a peek at the 5 highest grossing movies opening on Christmas day. Walt Disney Pictures' comedy-adventure-fantasy "Bedtime Stories" came on the very top spot, taking in $33 million in ticket sales despite critics' negative review.
Also having a good opening at the U.S. theaters was Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson-starring flick, "Marley & Me". The Fox 2000 Pictures' comedy earned $28 million, thanks to Aniston's GQ nude cover shoot which was claimed to have helped boasting its ticket sales.
The 3rd highest grossing movie opening on Christmas day was "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". Having Brad Pitt as its leading cast, the film's first week earning of $21 million was presumably due to the fact that it promises moviegoers a scene where Pitt portrays an elderly baby with a funny voice.
Those three movies were closely followed by United Artists' drama-thriller movie "Valkyrie", starring Tom Cruise, which took in $17 million. Taking in $5 million less, Jim Carrey's comedy "Yes Man" landed at No. 5. Another movie also opening on Christmas was "The Spirit." The action-adventure film, starring Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, and Eva Mendes among others, raked in a total of $7 million in ticket sales.
Speaking of the highest grossing movies opening on Christmas day, Box Office Mojo's Brandon Gray stated, "The end of the year is one of the biggest times for movie ticket sales. This week in December, since the year 2000, has consistently been the highest-grossing week of the year. "
Gray went on theorizing about those movies' ticket sales, taking last year's "P.S., I Love You" as an example. "That's an example of a movie that didn't really have an outstanding opening but held on for a while," he said when making a reference to the film's total domestic gross of $53.7 million through January after opening with only $6.5 million its first weekend.
- Joanna Krupa Causes Internet Frenzy After Seemingly Posing Fully-Naked
- David Ayer Regrets That Joker Is Not 'Suicide Squad' Main Villain
- Robin Excitedly Tries on Different Costumes in First 'Lego Batman Movie' Clip
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Her Breasts in Sheer Top While Strolling Around Paris
- Kanye West Reportedly Ready to Continue His Canceled 'Saint Pablo' Tour
- Chelsea Clinton Branded Hypocrite After Defending Barron Trump From Cyberbullies
- New 'Powerless' Promo Features Crimson Fox Catching a Train
- Woody Harrelson Is Han Solo's Mentor in Upcoming 'Star Wars' Spin-Off