Alexandra Burke Earns Christmas No. 1 With 'Hallelujah'
Alexandra Burke's wish to have a Christmas No. 1 has just come true. The newly-crowned "X-Factor" winner has her cover for Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" topping the Christmas singles chart above Jeff Buckley's rendition of the same song. The single that was released last week, sold 576,000 copies, a number that is bigger that all the top 20 combined.
Not only does the single earn the title as the fastest-selling single by a female artist in U.K. chart history, Burke's "Hallelujah" also beat the record by previous "X-Factor" winner Leona Lewis' "A Moment Like This". Upon knowing her single being Christmas No. 1 Burke said, "This is absolutely crazy, I can't believe it. It's been the best week of my life. Thank you so much to everyone that has supported me and bought the single. I'm bursting with excitement right now, it's incredible!"
"Hallelujah" was one of the songs that Burke sang on her winning day on the reality show. It is expected to be included in the future debut album by Burke. "I don't just want to sing a load of covers," she said about her vision of the album. "I would like to do what Leona Lewis did and go over to Los Angeles and work with producers. I've got to persuade Simon (Cowell) that's the best idea."
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal