Alexandra Burke Earns Christmas No. 1 With 'Hallelujah'
Alexandra Burke's wish to have a Christmas No. 1 has just come true. The newly-crowned "X-Factor" winner has her cover for Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" topping the Christmas singles chart above Jeff Buckley's rendition of the same song. The single that was released last week, sold 576,000 copies, a number that is bigger that all the top 20 combined.
Not only does the single earn the title as the fastest-selling single by a female artist in U.K. chart history, Burke's "Hallelujah" also beat the record by previous "X-Factor" winner Leona Lewis' "A Moment Like This". Upon knowing her single being Christmas No. 1 Burke said, "This is absolutely crazy, I can't believe it. It's been the best week of my life. Thank you so much to everyone that has supported me and bought the single. I'm bursting with excitement right now, it's incredible!"
"Hallelujah" was one of the songs that Burke sang on her winning day on the reality show. It is expected to be included in the future debut album by Burke. "I don't just want to sing a load of covers," she said about her vision of the album. "I would like to do what Leona Lewis did and go over to Los Angeles and work with producers. I've got to persuade Simon (Cowell) that's the best idea."
- Bella Thorne Gets Nipple Piercing, Shares Naked Photo
- Is Drake Cheating on J.Lo With This Porn Star in Amsterdam?
- Oscars 2017: 'La La Land' Leads With 14 Nods, 7 Black Actors Are Among 20 Acting Nominees
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci