Alexandra Burke Earns Christmas No. 1 With 'Hallelujah'
Alexandra Burke's wish to have a Christmas No. 1 has just come true. The newly-crowned "X-Factor" winner has her cover for Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" topping the Christmas singles chart above Jeff Buckley's rendition of the same song. The single that was released last week, sold 576,000 copies, a number that is bigger that all the top 20 combined.
Not only does the single earn the title as the fastest-selling single by a female artist in U.K. chart history, Burke's "Hallelujah" also beat the record by previous "X-Factor" winner Leona Lewis' "A Moment Like This". Upon knowing her single being Christmas No. 1 Burke said, "This is absolutely crazy, I can't believe it. It's been the best week of my life. Thank you so much to everyone that has supported me and bought the single. I'm bursting with excitement right now, it's incredible!"
"Hallelujah" was one of the songs that Burke sang on her winning day on the reality show. It is expected to be included in the future debut album by Burke. "I don't just want to sing a load of covers," she said about her vision of the album. "I would like to do what Leona Lewis did and go over to Los Angeles and work with producers. I've got to persuade Simon (Cowell) that's the best idea."
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Help Jimmy Kimmel Poke Fun at Hodor Twist
- Is Marriage on the Cards for Sandra Bullock and Boyfriend Bryan Randall?
- Chloe Grace Moretz Gets New Sweet Tattoo. See the Pic!
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' Star Frank Dillane Arrested Following Altercation With Security Guard
- Katherine Webb and NFL Star Husband AJ McCarron Welcome First Child
- George R. R. Martin Revealed Three Huge Twists to 'Game of Thrones' Producers. What Are They?
- Take a Look at Pink's Awkward Reaction When Her Celebrity Crush Johnny Depp Surprises Her
- Brad Pitt Saves Young Girl From Being Crushed by Excited Fans. See His Heroic Action!