'The Dark Knight' Is Austin Film Critics' Best of 2008
"The Dark Knight" keeps on collecting more and more nominations and awards from various film critics association. On Tuesday, December 16, the summer's blockbuster superhero movie has been named the year's Best Film by the Austin Film Critics Association (AFCA) at its fourth end-of-the-year awards.
Adding to the awards' collection, "Dark Knight" has also earned four other kudos from the AFCA. It won Best Original Score for James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmerman, Best Adapted Screenplay for Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan, the latter who was also honored as Best Director for his work with the movie, and Best Supporting Actor for the late Joker's depicter, Heath Ledger.
Aside from "Dark Knight", "Milk" brought Best Actor recognition to its star, Sean Penn, whereas "Rachel Getting Married" got Anne Hathaway the Best Actress prize. Taraji P. Henson secured the Best Supporting Actress title with her performance in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and "Wall-E" landed the Best Animated Film kudo.
The Breakthrough Artist award went to Danny McBride for his comedic roles in "Pineapple Express", "The Foot Fist Way" and "Tropic Thunder". AFCA has also chosen Charlie Kaufman's "Synecdoche, New York" script for the Best Original Screenplay. In addition, the Best Cinematography was presented to Colin Watkinson for his work in "The Fall".
Complete list of Austin Film Critics Association's 2008 Awards:
- Director: Christopher Nolan, "The Dark Knight"
- Actor: Sean Penn, "Milk"
- Actress: Anne Hathaway, "Rachel Getting Married"
- Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger, "The Dark Knight"
- Supporting Actress: Taraji P. Henson, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
- Breakthrough Artist Award: Danny McBride, "Pineapple Express", "The Foot Fist Way" and "Tropic Thunder"
- Original Screenplay: Charlie Kaufman, "Synecdoche, New York"
- Adapted Screenplay: Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan, "The Dark Knight"
- Cinematography: Colin Watkinson, "The Fall"
- Original Score: James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmerman, "The Dark Knight"
- Foreign Language Film: "Let the Right One In (Lat den ratte komma in)" - Sweden
- Documentary Film: "Man on Wire"
- Animated Feature: "Wall-E"
- First Film: Nacho Vigalondo, "Timecrimes (Los Cronocrimenes)"
- Austin Film: "Crawford"
- "The Dark Knight"
- "Slumdog Millionaire"
- "Synecdoche, New York"
- "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
- "The Wrestler"
- "Let the Right One In"
- "Gran Torino"
- Robin Williams' Widow Calls the Actor's Disease 'the Terrorist Inside My Husband's Brain'
- First Official Look at Emma Watson and Dan Stevens in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Keegan Allen Tweets His Phone Number
- Armie Hammer Accidentally Reveals Sex of His Unborn Baby
- Kelly Osbourne Settles Lawsuit With Dad Ozzy's Mistress
- Donald Trump Has His Own Porn Video Despite Bashing Alicia Machado for Her Sex Tape
- 'Criminal Minds' Finds Thomas Gibson's Replacement, John Legend Lands 'Underground' Role
- Kim Kardashian Pays Tribute to Late Dad With Throwback Video on His Death Anniversary