'The Dark Knight' Is Austin Film Critics' Best of 2008
"The Dark Knight" keeps on collecting more and more nominations and awards from various film critics association. On Tuesday, December 16, the summer's blockbuster superhero movie has been named the year's Best Film by the Austin Film Critics Association (AFCA) at its fourth end-of-the-year awards.
Adding to the awards' collection, "Dark Knight" has also earned four other kudos from the AFCA. It won Best Original Score for James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmerman, Best Adapted Screenplay for Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan, the latter who was also honored as Best Director for his work with the movie, and Best Supporting Actor for the late Joker's depicter, Heath Ledger.
Aside from "Dark Knight", "Milk" brought Best Actor recognition to its star, Sean Penn, whereas "Rachel Getting Married" got Anne Hathaway the Best Actress prize. Taraji P. Henson secured the Best Supporting Actress title with her performance in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and "Wall-E" landed the Best Animated Film kudo.
The Breakthrough Artist award went to Danny McBride for his comedic roles in "Pineapple Express", "The Foot Fist Way" and "Tropic Thunder". AFCA has also chosen Charlie Kaufman's "Synecdoche, New York" script for the Best Original Screenplay. In addition, the Best Cinematography was presented to Colin Watkinson for his work in "The Fall".
Complete list of Austin Film Critics Association's 2008 Awards:
- Director: Christopher Nolan, "The Dark Knight"
- Actor: Sean Penn, "Milk"
- Actress: Anne Hathaway, "Rachel Getting Married"
- Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger, "The Dark Knight"
- Supporting Actress: Taraji P. Henson, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
- Breakthrough Artist Award: Danny McBride, "Pineapple Express", "The Foot Fist Way" and "Tropic Thunder"
- Original Screenplay: Charlie Kaufman, "Synecdoche, New York"
- Adapted Screenplay: Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan, "The Dark Knight"
- Cinematography: Colin Watkinson, "The Fall"
- Original Score: James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmerman, "The Dark Knight"
- Foreign Language Film: "Let the Right One In (Lat den ratte komma in)" - Sweden
- Documentary Film: "Man on Wire"
- Animated Feature: "Wall-E"
- First Film: Nacho Vigalondo, "Timecrimes (Los Cronocrimenes)"
- Austin Film: "Crawford"
- "The Dark Knight"
- "Slumdog Millionaire"
- "Synecdoche, New York"
- "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
- "The Wrestler"
- "Let the Right One In"
- "Gran Torino"
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie