Controversy Trail Alexandra Burke's Win on 'The X Factor'
Alexandra Burke may have won the title of "The X-Factor" season five winner but she has not won every heart. Moments after she beat JLS and Eoghan Quigg with 58 per cent of the public voting for her, supporters of the runner-ups flooded the online world to protest against the privileges given to Burke that eventually contributed to her winning.
Complaints are directed to producer Simon Cowell, who was accused of giving Burke the favor to duet with international artist like Beyonce Knowles in the final round, and 'only' gave the runner-ups the chance to sing with old-time groups, Westlife and Boyzone. On this criticism, Burke responded, "Who you duet with doesn't determine whether you win, it's how you perform. Simple as that."
Another thing is, Burke earned the spotlight after she was paired with the most popular judge, Chery Cole of Girls Aloud, as her mentor. This was fueled further with the airing of a Girls Aloud tribute on the Saturday, December 13 final on ITV1 in between the two "X Factor" shows.
Giving her takes on her winning, Burke emphasizes that all she wants to do afterward is to keep herself grounded, succeed like previous "X Factor" winner Leona Lewis, and to have a Christmas number one single with her finale song "Hallelujah". She said, "All I want to do now is have a career like Leona Lewis, make good records and hopefully have a number one on Christmas Day," adding "After the show, Simon told me I'm a very special girl and mustn't ever change my personality."
Burke has started to gain her momentum. She has been signed for a record deal with Cowell's label and her rendition of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" is the most downloaded "X Factor" single in the history of the show. It will be available on CD and for download on Wednesday, December 17.
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones