Video: Wanda Sykes Comes Out at Gay Rights Rally
Wanda Sykes is gay and she is 'proud' of it, so she said during the gay rights rally in Las Vegas on Saturday, November 15. During her speech, the actress-comedian claimed it was the passage of same-sex marriage ban in California, called Proposition 8, that has led to her be more outspoken about being gay.
Defending her gay confirmation, Wanda said in her almost five minutes of remarks, "You know, I don't really talk about my sexual orientation. I didn't feel like I had to." She emphasized, "I was just living my life, not necessarily in the closet, but I was living my life."
Greater than that, Wanda also announced that she has married her same-sex partner in California on October 25, 2008, just days before the passage of Proposition 8. Expressing her disagreement over the passage, she told the crowd, "I got pissed off. They pissed me off. I said, 'You know what? Now I gotta get in your face.' And that's what we all have to do now. They pissed off the wrong group of people. They have galvanized a community ... Instead of having gay marriage in California, we're going to get it across the country."
Below is the video of Wanda's speech during the gay rights rally in Las Vegas.
- Usher Releases Two New Tracks Off 'Hard II Love'
- Rihanna Gets the Biggest Gift Ever From Drake in Honor of Her VMAs Win
- First Look at Lumiere, Cogsworth, Gaston and Le Fou in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- Julianne Hough and Derek Hough to Return for 'DWTS' Season 23
- Sam Mendes in Talks to Direct Disney's 'James and the Giant Peach'
- 'Veep' Star Anna Chlumsky Gives Birth to Her Second Child
- Producer Defends Frank Ocean for Self-Releasing 'Blonde' Album, Slams Def Jam
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Give Paparazzi Free Yeezy Sneakers