Selena Gomez Disagrees With Carrie Underwood's Political View
Unlike Carrie Underwood, who thinks that celebrities shouldn't publicly share their political affiliations, Selena Gomez thinks it's good for celebrities to get involved in the political campaign, reasoning their popularity can help encourage people to be aware of the political issues. Despite her young age, the Disney sensation has been active this election season, encouraging kids to educate themselves on the issue.
Carrie, not following in the footsteps of many other Hollywood notable figures, prefers to keep her political affiliation private. She wouldn't share with the press which candidate she's backing to be the next U.S. president. "There is someone I do support, but I don't support publicly," so she tells the newest issue of TV Guide magazine. "I lose all respect for celebrities when they back a candidate."
As for Selena, she says, "I'm glad that people are getting involved with the election. This election has been the biggest with celebrities." She goes on telling E! Online, "A lot of people do look up to certain celebrities and will follow in their footsteps," adding, "I think you just have to be aware of what you're saying."
Selena hasn't had the right to vote yet because she's only 16. Nevertheless, she has helped launching the UR Votes Count, a nationwide program that encouraged teens to cast their votes at polling stations set up in 150 malls in 42 states. When asked on which candidate she's backing, she admits, "I'm not really sure who I would pick to run our country. It's kind of nice not to be able to vote, because I may not be as ready to as I will be in the future."
More Selena Gomez News
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal