Selena Gomez Disagrees With Carrie Underwood's Political View
Unlike Carrie Underwood, who thinks that celebrities shouldn't publicly share their political affiliations, Selena Gomez thinks it's good for celebrities to get involved in the political campaign, reasoning their popularity can help encourage people to be aware of the political issues. Despite her young age, the Disney sensation has been active this election season, encouraging kids to educate themselves on the issue.
Carrie, not following in the footsteps of many other Hollywood notable figures, prefers to keep her political affiliation private. She wouldn't share with the press which candidate she's backing to be the next U.S. president. "There is someone I do support, but I don't support publicly," so she tells the newest issue of TV Guide magazine. "I lose all respect for celebrities when they back a candidate."
As for Selena, she says, "I'm glad that people are getting involved with the election. This election has been the biggest with celebrities." She goes on telling E! Online, "A lot of people do look up to certain celebrities and will follow in their footsteps," adding, "I think you just have to be aware of what you're saying."
Selena hasn't had the right to vote yet because she's only 16. Nevertheless, she has helped launching the UR Votes Count, a nationwide program that encouraged teens to cast their votes at polling stations set up in 150 malls in 42 states. When asked on which candidate she's backing, she admits, "I'm not really sure who I would pick to run our country. It's kind of nice not to be able to vote, because I may not be as ready to as I will be in the future."
More Selena Gomez News
- Oscar Accountants Issue an Apology Over Best Picture Blunder
- Halle Berry Rocks Big Curly Locks at the Academy Awards
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Hillary's America' Are Top Losers at Razzie Awards
- Nicole Kidman Passionately Kisses Keith Urban as He Naughtily Grabs Her Bum on Oscars' Red Carpet
- 'The Walking Dead' 7.12 Sneak Peeks: More Guns, More People, More Time
- President Donald Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Following Tension With Press
- 'Cars 3' New Extended Teaser Introduces the Next Generation of Racers
- Lea Michele Gets Naked in Bed With a Guy Before Oscars