Shonda Rhimes Confirms Brooke Smith's Dismissal From 'Grey's Anatomy'
Shonda Rhimes, "Grey's Anatomy" creator and executive producer, finally gives a statement regarding the unfortunate situation of Brooke Smith's dismissal from the ABC's medical drama series. Rhimes exclusively confirmed to EW's Michael Ausiello that the decision is beyond her control.
As Rhimes says, "Brooke Smith was obviously not fired for playing a lesbian. Clearly it's not an issue as we have a lesbian character on the show, Calliope Torres. Sara Ramirez is an incredible comedic and dramatic actress and we wanted to be able to play up her magic." She adds, "Unfortunately, we did not find that the magic and chemistry with Brooke's character would sustain in the long run. The impact of the Callie/Erica relationship will be felt and played out in a story for Callie. I believe it belittles the relationship to simply replace Erica with 'another lesbian.' If you'll remember, Cristina mourned the loss of Burke for a full season."
It is believed that there is some kind of involvement from the network causing Dr. Erica Hahn's character axing. Furthermore, a source from the series reports to E! Online that all the things related to gay-theme will be erased from upcoming scripts.
November 6 episode is going to be Smith's last appearance in the series. In an interview done by Ausiello, the actress cannot hide her disappointment towards her sudden dismissal. She says, "I was very excited when they told me that Erica and Callie were going to have this relationship. And so I was surprised and disappointed when they just suddenly told me that they couldn't write for my character anymore."
The actress goes further by saying, "I found out in mid-September soon after shooting the monologue that aired last week where Erica has the revelation that she's gay. They even came down and told me it was a great scene -- one of the best they ever shot on the show. So I was really, really shocked. I was floored when they told me [I was being let go]. It was the last thing I expected. In fact, when they told me I asked, "When is this happening?" And they said, "The [next episode] is your last," which is the one that airs this Thursday. So it was very sudden."
Smith's statements relate to the source who says "They don't really give her a goodbye, it ends rather abruptly."
- 'American Horror Story': Ryan Murphy Shares Photo of 'Cult' Member. Is It Evan Peters?
- Secretly Married? Liam Payne Calls Cheryl His 'Wife' in New Interview
- Comic-Con: 'Ready Player One' First Footage Introduces Stepen Spielberg's VR Dystopia
- 'Psychopath' Sulli Gets Blasted for Biting Her Cat
- New Romance? Shirtless Justin Bieber Enjoys Romantic Hike With This Model
- Comic-Con: 'Westworld' Season 2 Trailer Is Violence Galore
- Pics: Emily Ratajkowski Goes Topless, Parades Impressive Bum in Thong Bikini
- Song Joong Ki Reveals He Told Song Hye Kyo to Announce Their Wedding Due to Groundless Rumors