'The Dark Knight' Brings Heath Ledger 2008 AFI Awards' Nomination
Heath Ledger's thrilling performance as Batman's psychotic villain, Joker, in "The Dark Knight" has brought him recognition from Australian Film Institute. On Wednesday, October 29 as the Australian Film Institute announced the nominees for L'Oreal Paris 2008 AFI Awards in Sydney, it was revealed that the late actor has been listed among the nominees for the international AFI award.
With the nod, Ledger is on the run for the title of AFI International Award for Best Actor. In the category, he will be contending with Eric Bana for "The Other Boleyn Girl", Russell Crowe for "American Gangster" and Jack Thompson for "Leatherheads". The actor who passed away late January 2008 has won the title in 2006 for his performance as homosexual cowboy in "Brokeback Mountain".
Beside the Best Actor category, AFI International Award also saw Cate Blanchett, Nicole Kidman, Judy Davis and Rachel Griffiths as the contenders of Best Actress category. Blanchett and Kidman received the gong for their acts in feature films, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" and "The Golden Compass" respectively, while Davis and Griffiths for their characters' portrayal in television series, "The Starter Wife" and "Brothers & Sisters" respectively.
The 50th Australian Film Institute Awards will be honoring the best in films for 2008 on Saturday, December 6. The gala will be held at Melbourne's Princess Theatre. The awards' nominations were dominated by low-budget drama "The Black Balloon" with 11 counts on its hands. The complete list of this year nominees can be read at AFI's official site.
- Calvin Harris Won't Date Another Celebrity Thanks to 'Narcissist' Taylor Swift
- Fans Petition 'Star Wars' to Include First Gay Character to Honor Orlando Victims
- Get to Know More About 'The Walking Dead' Villain Negan! His Backstory Is Revealed in Comics
- Rihanna Shares 'Saucy' Video of Her Crotch
- Paris Hilton Likes a Shady Meme to Remind Kanye West She Made Kim Kardashian Famous
- Dwayne Johnson Shares New Picture From 'Fast and Furious 8' Set
- Calvin Harris Also Moves On - The DJ Is Surrounded by Sexy Ladies on a Yacht
- Video: Prince Harry Joins Coldplay Onstage During Kensington Palace Concert