Guns N' Roses Leaker Pleading Innocent
Kevin Cogill from California, who has been arrested by police officers for copyright infringement over Guns N' Roses' songs in August, has pleaded not guilty for his action. The 27-year-old blogger appeared in Los Angeles' federal court on Monday morning, October 20 to enter his plea.
Assistant U.S. attorney Craig Missakian says, "In the past, these may have been viewed as victimless crimes. But in reality, there's significant damage." However, if Cogill is convicted posting the band's songs for profit, he will face up to three years in jail and a $250,000 fine. Things will get even worse if the band decide to pursue civil charges, which mean that the fine can end up to $150,000 for a song. Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office, says that no date has yet been set for the trial.
Previously, concerning the copyright laws violation, the band said, "Presently, though we don't support this guy's actions at that level, our interest is in the original source." In a further statement, they added, "We can't comment publicly at this time as the investigation is ongoing."
The leak that has been the lawsuit subject, included three songs, "Rhiad and the Bedouins", "If the World", and an unnamed track that will all appear on the band's upcoming major studio album "Chinese Democracy". In support of their effort which will hit the market either on November 23 or November 25 in the U.S., the band reportedly work on world tour dates. "The music is well worth waiting for," Gary Arnold, senior entertainment officer for Best Buy, tells Rolling Stone. "We've all heard the stories about this album, and now everybody gets to hear that it's real."
More Guns N' Roses News
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support
- Secretly Married? See Miley Cyrus' New Band on Her Ring Finger
- Meet the Ravagers From 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'