'Max Payne' Ends 'Beverly Hills Chihuahua' Reign at the Box Office
The 20th Century Fox crime drama thriller, "Max Payne", has claimed the #1 box office spot this weekend, October 17 to 19. Stealing "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" two-week-in-a-row slot, the John Moore-directed movie starring Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis has pulled in $17.6 million, around six million more than the Disney's dog adventure comedy.
Screened at 3,376 theaters throughout the North America, "Payne" is the first film from distributor News Corp. to debut atop the box office since "Horton Hears a Who!" release back in March. With its success on nailing the #1 position, it joins other game-based movies which gain commercial hits, though if seen from the sales record, its number isn't quite on par with the debut of some other video game adaptation movies.
"It didn't take much for a picture to be No. 1 this weekend, given how relatively light the box office was last weekend with 'Beverly Hills Chihuahua' at No. 1 for the second week in a row," Brandon Gray, the president of Box Office Mojo LLC commented on "Payne" reign. "It's not a picture that's exciting the market."
Pushed aside by "Payne" is "Chihuahua" which slipped to the second place. The pampered dog tale featuring the voices of Drew Barrymore, Andy Garcia and George Lopez drops 34.7% in its sales, but manages to add $11.4 million to its total of $69.3 million in its third weekend of screening.
Other newcomers making a solid run at the revenue tracker are "The Secret Life of Bees" and "W". "Bees", the drama film starring Dakota Fanning, Jennifer Hudson, Queen Latifah and Alicia Keys secures the top three position garnering $10.52 million, while "W", the biopic film about the life and presidency of the 43rd President of the United States George W. Bush, follows closely behind at the fourth slot with $10.51 million in its pocket.
The last place in the top five box office is filled by "Eagle Eye". Sliding down one slot from its fourth place last week, the race-against-time thriller that teams up Shia LaBeouf and Michelle Monaghan collects $7 million and thus, has raked in $81 million since its opening on September 26. The top ten list of the box office movies can be seen below.
Top Ten Movies at Weekend Box Office for October 17-19, 2008:
- "Max Payne" - $17.6 million
- "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" - $11.4 million
- "The Secret Life of Bees" - $10.52 million
- "W" - $10.51 million
- "Eagle Eye" - $7 million
- "Body of Lies" - $6.8 million
- "Quarantine" - $6.1 million
- "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" - $3.7 million
- "Sex Drive" - $3.6 million
- "Nights in Rodanthe" - $2.7 million
- 'Teen Mom' Star Amber Portwood Confirms Sex Tape Negotiations
- Kourtney Kardashian Bares Butt and Sideboob in Another Yacht Date With Younes Bendjima
- NBC Pushes Jennifer Lopez's 'Bye Bye Birdie Live!' to 2018
- Emily Ratajkowski Goes Topless in New Sultry Selfie
- Report: Emma Watson Getting Married in Big Sur This Summer
- See Hilarious Horror-Themed Memes of Trump's Awkward Photo With Pope Francis
- New Beau? Mischa Barton Caught Getting Handsy With Mystery Man in Cannes
- HBO Renews 'Veep' and 'Silicon Valley' for 2017-2018 Seasons