DJ AM Compares Deadly Plane Crash to 'Miami Vice'
Scoring an interview with People magazine, his first ever after the deadly plane crash last month, DJ AM recalled the horror of the tragedy, telling the weekly publication, "I'm the luckiest man alive." Detailing on the day the crash happened, he said, "I remember thinking it was like 'Miami Vice,' where a car is on fire and you run before the gas tank explodes - we gotta get out of here!"
Furthermore chronicling on how he escaped death, he revealed, "When the plane was on the runway I took my shoes off and fell asleep. The next thing I remember is us crashing into something. I woke up to Travis screaming and the plane engulfed in flames." He continued saying, "I tried to cover my face as I jumped through a fireball. As soon as I hit the ground, I remembered, 'Stop, drop and roll.' So I started rolling."
As for fellow musician Travis Barker, the drummer "jerked upon the door and slid on his butt down a wing that was on fire," the DJ testified, adding that he helped Travis which then resulted worse burn on his body. "My eyebrows and layers of skin were burned off my face," AM admitted. "My forehead was gouged and my arm had skin hanging off. I was in shock and didn't feel anything."
AM, according to People, has undergone procedures to treat his second- and third-degree burns and is currently recovering from the final of three surgeries. Despite his "back-and-forth" emotions AM said he is ready to join Jay-Z on a planned tour, which has been kicked off Wednesday, October 15 at the Hollywood Palladium. AM's full interview with People can be read on the magazine's latest issue, on newsstands this week.
In other AM news, he was joined by many of his celebrity friends, including Hilary Duff and will.i.am, at the so-called "Welcome Home DJ AM" party, held Tuesday, October 14 at Avalon Hollywood. There were about 1,500 partygoers attending the event, which was also meant as a fundraiser with all proceeds benefiting the memorial funds of Travis' assistant, Chris "Lil Chris" Baker, and bodyguard, Charles "Che" Still, both of whom died in the crash.
- Jennifer Lawrence to Lead Zelda Fitzgerald Biopic
- Kim Kardashian's Family Shares Throwbacks and Birthday Wishes as She Turns 36
- Chris Pratt to Return to TV as Guest Star on His Wife Anna Faris' 'Mom'
- Katy Perry and Pharrell Williams Named Co-Chairs for 2017 Met Gala
- Shailene Woodley Writes Powerful Essay About Her Arrest During Pipeline Protest
- Is Jennifer Lawrence Dating Darren Aronofsky to Score Movie Roles?
- Selena Gomez's Mother Is NOT Fighting for a Conservatorship Despite Report
- Nicole Richie Is Livid Her Sister Sofia Richie Hangs Out With Her Ex-BFF Paris Hilton