'The Reader' Announces Release Date, Eying as Oscar Candidate
The Weinstein Company finally announce the release date for their big screen "The Reader", marking that a dispute between producers Harvey Weinstein and Scott Rudin over the movie's release has been resolved. "We are in complete agreement on the date we have chosen," the two say. "Working together, we developed a plan to extend the postproduction schedule in order to give Stephen Daldry the additional time he needs to successfully complete the film."
In a joint statement, the two producers reveal that the drama film, which stars Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes, will come out on December 12, keeping Harvey's previous plan which had been strongly rejected by Scott. Some say that Harvey's rush move happens because he wants to bring the movie as an Oscar candidate. On the contrary, Scott, who has two other awards movies out this year, lobbied for a 2009 release and refused to be pushed up.
Furthermore, a source says that the agreement has been reached after days of negotiations which result in acquired additional financial support from Harvey so that the movie's director, Stephen, can finish the film on time as requested by Harvey. "On their own, Scott and Harvey spent this weekend working together to find a way to accommodate my needs so that I may fulfill my obligation to the studio without compromising my vision for the film. I am thrilled and relieved that we have all found a way forward to work together to bring 'The Reader' to theaters this year," Stephen speaks of the settlement.
"The Reader" is a movie which is based on Bernhard Schlink's international best-selling novel. The story is set in postwar Germany and centers on Michael Berg, who is 15 years old when beginning a long, obsessive affair with Hanna, an enigmatic older woman. He never learns much about her, and when she disappears one day, he expects never to see her again. However, to his horror, he discovers that she is a defendant in a Nazi war crimes trial, and it soon becomes clear that she is guilty of an unspeakable crime.
- Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux Hold Hands in NYC Following Split Rumors
- Backstreet Boys Joins Florida Georgia Line at iHeartRadio Music Festival. Plus Other Performances!
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors