'The Reader' Announces Release Date, Eying as Oscar Candidate
The Weinstein Company finally announce the release date for their big screen "The Reader", marking that a dispute between producers Harvey Weinstein and Scott Rudin over the movie's release has been resolved. "We are in complete agreement on the date we have chosen," the two say. "Working together, we developed a plan to extend the postproduction schedule in order to give Stephen Daldry the additional time he needs to successfully complete the film."
In a joint statement, the two producers reveal that the drama film, which stars Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes, will come out on December 12, keeping Harvey's previous plan which had been strongly rejected by Scott. Some say that Harvey's rush move happens because he wants to bring the movie as an Oscar candidate. On the contrary, Scott, who has two other awards movies out this year, lobbied for a 2009 release and refused to be pushed up.
Furthermore, a source says that the agreement has been reached after days of negotiations which result in acquired additional financial support from Harvey so that the movie's director, Stephen, can finish the film on time as requested by Harvey. "On their own, Scott and Harvey spent this weekend working together to find a way to accommodate my needs so that I may fulfill my obligation to the studio without compromising my vision for the film. I am thrilled and relieved that we have all found a way forward to work together to bring 'The Reader' to theaters this year," Stephen speaks of the settlement.
"The Reader" is a movie which is based on Bernhard Schlink's international best-selling novel. The story is set in postwar Germany and centers on Michael Berg, who is 15 years old when beginning a long, obsessive affair with Hanna, an enigmatic older woman. He never learns much about her, and when she disappears one day, he expects never to see her again. However, to his horror, he discovers that she is a defendant in a Nazi war crimes trial, and it soon becomes clear that she is guilty of an unspeakable crime.
- So Cute! Liam Payne Shares Rare Photo of Him and Son Bear in Matching Yeezy Trainers
- Donald Trump Stops a Call With the Irish PM to Compliment Female Reporter's 'Nice Smile'
- Kristen Wiig Joins Jimmy Fallon in Funny Doctor Skit of New Mad Lib Theater
- Queen Biopic 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Finds Its Drummer in 'X-Men' Actor Ben Hardy
- Kris Jenner and David Foster Reportedly Have a Dinner Date
- Chrissy Teigen Accidentally Flashes Bare Boob When Dancing With John Legend During His Concert
- Watch Spider-Man Make Quite an Entrance at 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Premiere
- Swimsuit-Clad Lea Michele Flashes Her Derriere During Hawaiian Getaway