'Project Runway' Move to Lifetime Halted After Court Decision
"Project Runway" will not be so fast moving from Bravo TV to Lifetime. New York State Supreme Court ruled on Friday, September 26 that the reality show is still under the right of NBC Universal, which is the parent company of Bravo.
With the court decision, Lifetime will not be able to go on with the airing of the show nor can it develop a spin-off to the show, which has previously been planned. The sixth season was initially planned to be broadcast in January 2009 after delayed once from the November 2008 schedule.
The result is stemming from the defense by NBC that Weinstein Company, owner of the series, signed a deal with Lifetime before giving NBC enough time to compensate with the terms of deal. Weinstein made a $150 million deal with Lifetime earlier this year.
NBC has released a statement regarding the ruling, expressing their satisfaction. "The overwhelming evidence demonstrated that the Weinstein Company violated NBC Universal's right of first refusal to future cycles of 'Project Runway.' After hearing all of the evidence, the court issued an order prohibiting the Weinstein Company from taking the show or any spinoff to Lifetime."
In return, Weinsten Co. have also released their statement, announcing their appeal plan. "We are glad that the court held that NBC Universal cannot exhibit the program on Bravo and that the court required NBC Universal to post a minimum $20 million bond," the statement read. "Obviously we will be appealing and remain committed to our partners."
The third party, Lifetime, admitted that they are "disappointed" with the decision but will "pursue all measures to uphold its valid and binding agreement reached with the Weinstein Company for Season 6 of 'Project Runway.' "
An October 15 meeting is scheduled to set a date on a trial for all the parties.
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones