'Project Runway' Move to Lifetime Halted After Court Decision
"Project Runway" will not be so fast moving from Bravo TV to Lifetime. New York State Supreme Court ruled on Friday, September 26 that the reality show is still under the right of NBC Universal, which is the parent company of Bravo.
With the court decision, Lifetime will not be able to go on with the airing of the show nor can it develop a spin-off to the show, which has previously been planned. The sixth season was initially planned to be broadcast in January 2009 after delayed once from the November 2008 schedule.
The result is stemming from the defense by NBC that Weinstein Company, owner of the series, signed a deal with Lifetime before giving NBC enough time to compensate with the terms of deal. Weinstein made a $150 million deal with Lifetime earlier this year.
NBC has released a statement regarding the ruling, expressing their satisfaction. "The overwhelming evidence demonstrated that the Weinstein Company violated NBC Universal's right of first refusal to future cycles of 'Project Runway.' After hearing all of the evidence, the court issued an order prohibiting the Weinstein Company from taking the show or any spinoff to Lifetime."
In return, Weinsten Co. have also released their statement, announcing their appeal plan. "We are glad that the court held that NBC Universal cannot exhibit the program on Bravo and that the court required NBC Universal to post a minimum $20 million bond," the statement read. "Obviously we will be appealing and remain committed to our partners."
The third party, Lifetime, admitted that they are "disappointed" with the decision but will "pursue all measures to uphold its valid and binding agreement reached with the Weinstein Company for Season 6 of 'Project Runway.' "
An October 15 meeting is scheduled to set a date on a trial for all the parties.
- Oh Boy! Harry Styles Rocks Three Different Looks for Another Man Magazine
- Taylor Lautner Says Britney Spears Tried to Set Him Up With Her Sister Jamie Lynn
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role
- Lindsay Lohan's Ex Egor Denies He's Broke and Let Her Pay for Everything While Still Dating
- 'Last Man on Earth' Premiere Features Surprise Cameo, Stages Mini 'Mad Men' Reunion
- Blac Chyna's Mom Scolds Rob Kardashian, Fears He Will 'Ruin' Their Relationship
- Drake Depicts Violence, Gets Steamy With a Girl in New 'Please Forgive Me' Short Film