'Project Runway' Move to Lifetime Halted After Court Decision
"Project Runway" will not be so fast moving from Bravo TV to Lifetime. New York State Supreme Court ruled on Friday, September 26 that the reality show is still under the right of NBC Universal, which is the parent company of Bravo.
With the court decision, Lifetime will not be able to go on with the airing of the show nor can it develop a spin-off to the show, which has previously been planned. The sixth season was initially planned to be broadcast in January 2009 after delayed once from the November 2008 schedule.
The result is stemming from the defense by NBC that Weinstein Company, owner of the series, signed a deal with Lifetime before giving NBC enough time to compensate with the terms of deal. Weinstein made a $150 million deal with Lifetime earlier this year.
NBC has released a statement regarding the ruling, expressing their satisfaction. "The overwhelming evidence demonstrated that the Weinstein Company violated NBC Universal's right of first refusal to future cycles of 'Project Runway.' After hearing all of the evidence, the court issued an order prohibiting the Weinstein Company from taking the show or any spinoff to Lifetime."
In return, Weinsten Co. have also released their statement, announcing their appeal plan. "We are glad that the court held that NBC Universal cannot exhibit the program on Bravo and that the court required NBC Universal to post a minimum $20 million bond," the statement read. "Obviously we will be appealing and remain committed to our partners."
The third party, Lifetime, admitted that they are "disappointed" with the decision but will "pursue all measures to uphold its valid and binding agreement reached with the Weinstein Company for Season 6 of 'Project Runway.' "
An October 15 meeting is scheduled to set a date on a trial for all the parties.
- Britney Spears Mispronounces Tinashe's Name During Onstage Performance
- Tegan and Sara Release 'Miami Vice'-Inspired 'Dying to Know' Video
- Seth Meyers Will End 2016 With Jennifer Lawrence, Arnold Schwarzenegger and More
- Liam Payne Blasts Louis Walsh for Dissing His Pregnant Girlfriend Cheryl
- Demi Moore Annoys Mila Kunis for 'Butting in' After Birth of Her Son With Ashton Kutcher
- Get Sneak Peeks of Daredevil and Jessica Jones' Encounter in New 'Defenders' Set Photos
- Find Out Liam Payne's Big Plan to Propose to Pregnant Girlfriend Cheryl
- Tom Hanks, Piers Morgan, Donald Trump and More Mourn the Death of Space Legend John Glenn