Ricky Gervais Possibly Hosting 81st Academy Awards
Rumor has it Ricky Gervais may be the host of the 81st Annual Academy Awards. According to EW's Hollywood Insider, the English comedian who made his break in the entertainment industry through BBC Two television series "The Office" has been considered for the coveted role after his hilarious skit during the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards on Sunday, September 21.
About the speculation, a source close to the comedian simply said, "The buzz around town is that Ricky should host the Oscars." If the 47-year-old lead actor in "Ghost Town" were chosen to host the special event, he will be adding his name to the long list of Oscar hosts that include Jon Stewart, Ellen DeGeneres, Chris Rock, Billy Crystal, Steve Martin and Whoopi Goldberg.
The 81st Academy Awards will announce its selections of nominees at Samuel Goldwyn Theater on Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 5:38 A.M. PST. Meanwhile, the gala ceremony honoring the best in film for 2008 will be held at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood, California on Sunday, February 22, 2009. It will be aired by ABC with Laurence Mark and Bill Condon, the men behind the Oscar-winning musical "Dreamgirls", serving as the show's producer and executive producer respectively.
- Taylor Kinney Gives Lady GaGa 'Ultimatum' as She's Still Undecided About Wedding Details
- Kim Kardashian Steals the Show at Scott Disick's Birthday Party With Her Barely-There Lace Dress
- Proud Papa Chris Brown Shares Cute Pictures of Royalty to Celebrate Her Birthday
- Amanda Holden Poses Naked for Charity. See the Racy Pic!
- Bruno Mars Is Readying a New Album for November
- Mariah Carey's Diva Antics: She Has Her Glam Team Work on Her While She Sleeps
- Kim Kardashian Kicks Kanye West Out of Their Bel Air House. Why?
- Watch Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus Envision Lighter 'Walking Dead' in NBC's Red Nose Day Special