Ricky Gervais Possibly Hosting 81st Academy Awards
Rumor has it Ricky Gervais may be the host of the 81st Annual Academy Awards. According to EW's Hollywood Insider, the English comedian who made his break in the entertainment industry through BBC Two television series "The Office" has been considered for the coveted role after his hilarious skit during the 60th Primetime Emmy Awards on Sunday, September 21.
About the speculation, a source close to the comedian simply said, "The buzz around town is that Ricky should host the Oscars." If the 47-year-old lead actor in "Ghost Town" were chosen to host the special event, he will be adding his name to the long list of Oscar hosts that include Jon Stewart, Ellen DeGeneres, Chris Rock, Billy Crystal, Steve Martin and Whoopi Goldberg.
The 81st Academy Awards will announce its selections of nominees at Samuel Goldwyn Theater on Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 5:38 A.M. PST. Meanwhile, the gala ceremony honoring the best in film for 2008 will be held at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood, California on Sunday, February 22, 2009. It will be aired by ABC with Laurence Mark and Bill Condon, the men behind the Oscar-winning musical "Dreamgirls", serving as the show's producer and executive producer respectively.
- 'Logan' Producer Hints at X-23 Solo Movie
- Jamie Foxx Called 'Disrespectful' by Nyle DiMarco for Making Up Sign Language on 'Fallon'
- John Boyega Play in London Cut Short Due to Bomb Threat
- Joseph Duggar Engaged to Kendra Caldwell at His Sister Joy-Anna's Wedding
- Gregg Allman Dies After Battle With Liver Cancer, Ex-Wife Cher Mourns Him
- Watch a Preview of Halsey and Lauren Jauregui's 'Strangers' Video
- Beyonce Channels Michael Jackson in Throwback Photos
- Blac Chyna Licks Christina Milian's Boob in NSFW Pic