Legal Trouble Brewing, 'Watchmen' in Trouble
"Watchmen" is facing a serious trouble. In the latest report concerning the Zack Snyder-directed movie, it has been reported that Warner Bros. Pictures, the studio producing the film, are more likely to deal with a legal suit thrown by the 20th Century Fox and the movie itself is threatened from being unreleased theatrically.
According to Nikki Finke of Deadline Hollywood Daily, the motion put out by Warner Bros. to dismiss the 20th Century Fox's legal claim over the rights to develop, produce and distribute "Watchmen" has been denied by a federal judge. The turning down of the lawsuit dismissal has been done by U.S. District Court Judge Gary Allen Feess, on Friday, August 15.
"In essence, the Judge appears to conclude that Fox retained distribution rights in Watchmen through the 1991 Largo quitclaim, and he concludes that, under the 1994 turnaround, producer Larry Gordon acquired an option to acquire Fox's remaining interest in Watchmen that was never exercised, thereby leaving Fox with its rights under the 1994 agreement," a source close to 20th Century Fox exposed. "While the Judge's opinion is preliminary and his views could change in the course of the litigation, his current take on the facts is consistent with our position."
20th Century Fox have filed a lawsuit against the production house back in February 2008. The studio claimed that they still have the screening rights on "Watchmen" and thus, Warner Bros. violate their rights by developing and planning to release the Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' comic book adaptation to the big screen. Hence, they are looking for to prevent Warner Bros. from presenting the feature film to audience.
From the script by David Hayter and Alex Tse, "Watchmen" stars Jackie Earle Haley, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Malin Akerman, Matt Frewer, Carla Gugino and many others. It follows a group of costumed superheroes in an alternate 1985 America when they are seeking to protect humanity while dealing with the conspiracy to discredit all past and present superheroes. The movie is slated to be released on March 6, 2009.
- Kelly Ripa Involved in Drug Overdose Scandal
- Justin Timberlake Teases His Upcoming Collab With Timbaland and Pharrell
- Blac Chyna Blasts Tyga on Snapchat for Not Paying Her Child Support
- Watch Teaser of 'War of the Planet of the Apes' New Trailer
- Watch Danny Brown's Graphic Video for 'Ain't It Funny', Directed by Jonah Hill
- 'DWTS': After Alleged Diva Behavior, Nancy Kerrigan Now Threatens to Quit the Show
- Prince's Ex-Wife Reveals Devastating Addiction and Secret Overdoses Before His Tragic Death
- Casey Affleck Is a White-Sheeted Ghost in 'A Ghost Story' First Trailer