Katy Perry's Parents Ashamed of Her 'I Kissed a Girl' Song
Taking the fall of the success for her hit "I Kissed a Girl", Katy Perry has to endure criticism from her own parents. Instead of getting praised, the daughter of evangelical Christian preachers is deemed "shameful and disgraceful" with the lyrics of the song that promotes "sin".
Speaking to DailyMail.co.uk, Perry's mom, Mary Hudson said, "I hate the song. It clearly promotes homosexuality and its message is shameful and disgusting." She added that this is no longer a secret, saying, "Katy knows how I feel. We are a very outspoken family and she knows how disappointed her father and I are. I can't even listen to that song. The first time I heard it I was in total shock. When it comes on the radio I bow my head and pray."
"I Kissed a Girl" has been a huge chart success with it topping the Billboard Hot 100 chart for seven consecutive weeks. Not only the lyrics are considered promoting homosexuality, the music video also sees Perry wearing lingerie and minimum clothes, not a typical thing daughter of pastors would do. Within the lyrics in which she is involved as co-writer, Perry croons "I kissed a girl and I liked it / The taste of her cherry chapstick".
Despite the claims and the 'gay' persona that Perry reflects in her music, she herself is dating a man. She is the girlfriend of Travis McCoy of Gym Class Heroes, who has given her a promise ring. On this issue, Mary shared her words, "Katy is not a homosexual but I fear she has been led astray by the Hollywood crowd. I pray all the time that God will work through her and help her find salvation."
However, Perry who has previously vowed not to kiss her female fan during a concert, did exactly the opposite earlier last week. She kissed a reportedly lesbian fan named Jenna Buhmann at her concert in Washington.
Perry started her career singing in churches and local restaurants in Santa Barbara. She even released a Christian album in 2001 under the name Katy Hudson. "Katy was spotted by a music producer who invited her to LA. That's when she started to change," Mary recalled.
More Katy Perry News
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video
- 'Game of Thrones' Latest Tidbit Reveals This Character's Unlikely Return in Season 7