Katy Perry's Parents Ashamed of Her 'I Kissed a Girl' Song
Taking the fall of the success for her hit "I Kissed a Girl", Katy Perry has to endure criticism from her own parents. Instead of getting praised, the daughter of evangelical Christian preachers is deemed "shameful and disgraceful" with the lyrics of the song that promotes "sin".
Speaking to DailyMail.co.uk, Perry's mom, Mary Hudson said, "I hate the song. It clearly promotes homosexuality and its message is shameful and disgusting." She added that this is no longer a secret, saying, "Katy knows how I feel. We are a very outspoken family and she knows how disappointed her father and I are. I can't even listen to that song. The first time I heard it I was in total shock. When it comes on the radio I bow my head and pray."
"I Kissed a Girl" has been a huge chart success with it topping the Billboard Hot 100 chart for seven consecutive weeks. Not only the lyrics are considered promoting homosexuality, the music video also sees Perry wearing lingerie and minimum clothes, not a typical thing daughter of pastors would do. Within the lyrics in which she is involved as co-writer, Perry croons "I kissed a girl and I liked it / The taste of her cherry chapstick".
Despite the claims and the 'gay' persona that Perry reflects in her music, she herself is dating a man. She is the girlfriend of Travis McCoy of Gym Class Heroes, who has given her a promise ring. On this issue, Mary shared her words, "Katy is not a homosexual but I fear she has been led astray by the Hollywood crowd. I pray all the time that God will work through her and help her find salvation."
However, Perry who has previously vowed not to kiss her female fan during a concert, did exactly the opposite earlier last week. She kissed a reportedly lesbian fan named Jenna Buhmann at her concert in Washington.
Perry started her career singing in churches and local restaurants in Santa Barbara. She even released a Christian album in 2001 under the name Katy Hudson. "Katy was spotted by a music producer who invited her to LA. That's when she started to change," Mary recalled.
More Katy Perry News
- Salma Hayek Suggests Donald Trump Tried to Manipulate Her Into Agreeing on a Date
- 'Doctor Strange' Actor Benedict Wong Confirmed for 'Avengers: Infinity Wars'
- Leonardo DiCaprio Had Another Near-Death Experience While Diving in the Galapagos
- Listen to Sia's 3 New Tracks From 'This Is Acting' Deluxe Version
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 7 Set Pics: First Look at Kit Harington in Full Costume
- Donald Glover Officially Cast as Young Lando Calrissian in 'Han Solo' Movie
- Perrie Edwards Was Left Homeless After Nasty Split From Zayn Malik
- Azealia Banks Pens Apology Letter to Zayn Malik