Friends and Colleagues Mourn the Death of Bernie Mac
Hollywood mourns the death of Bernie Mac. The actor-comedian died in a Chicago-area hospital Saturday morning, August 9 at about 2 A.M. of complications from pneumonia, his publicist has confirmed. His wife Rhonda McCullough and daughter were with him until the very end of his life. He was 50.
Mac was hospitalized with pneumonia, which is not related to the autoimmune disorder called sarcoidosis he's been suffering since 20 years ago, early last week. His publicist previously told the press that despite reports to the contrary, the star "is responding well to treatment and will be released soon."
His daughter, Je'niece Childress, said the whole family hoped he would fully recover from the bout of pneumonia that put him in Chicago's Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Unfortunately, he lost his battle to the disease.
Condolences quickly came from Mac's celebrity friends and colleagues soon as reports on his death hit the media. Actor pal George Clooney, who starred with him in the 2001 "Ocean's Eleven" and its two sequels, said "The world just got a little less funny. He will be missed dearly." Fellow "Ocean's" star Brad Pitt commented, "I lament the loss of a ferociously funny and hardcore family man. My thoughts are with Rhonda and their family. Bernie Mac, you are already missed."
Comic actor Chris Rock was the other celeb who mourned Mac's death, referring him as "one of the best and funniest comedians to ever live, but that was the second best thing he did. Bernie was one of the greatest friends a person could have. Losing him is like losing 12 people because he absolutely filled up any room he was in. I'm gonna miss the Mac Man."
Samuel L. Jackson, Mac's costar in the November 2008 comedy drama flick "Soul Men", commented "It goes without saying that Bernie was one of the preeminent comedians of our generation. He was also an attentive husband, a great father and loving grandfather. I feel blessed to have shared years of friendship with Bernie Mac and I'm honored to have finally costarred with him in what I consider to be his finest cinematic acting achievement. My sincere prayer is that his family will be comforted by the warmth of love from all of."
A public memorial is planned for next Saturday Aug. 16 at The House of Hope church in Chicago.
- Despite Chipped Tooth and Skin Rash, Kim Kardashian Has Lots of Fun at Las Vegas Party
- Comic-Con: Brie Larson Officially Named Captain Marvel
- Comic-Con: 'The Vampire Diaries' Announced to End With Season 8. How Fans React?
- After Breaking Down on Stage, Selena Gomez Posts Cryptic Message on Instagram
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers