'Pineapple Express' Smoking Its Way to Box Office Record
Despite the fact that "The Dark Knight" has dominated the record-breaking story with its continuous success, stoner flick "Pineapple Express" has created a history of its own. The David Gordon Green's comedy has landed itself atop of the list of the best-ever Wednesday opening at the domestic box office in August.
Debuted in the theaters on Wednesday, August 6, the Seth Rogen and James Franco-starring movie has grossed as much as $12.1 million on the particular day only. By that it means that "Express" has overtaken the previous record held by "Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement" set in 2004 with $8.9 million.
Even more impressive, the comedy written by Rogen and Evan Goldberg has sat on the top of the daily box office pushing "Dark Knight" from its comfortable #1 place for the first time. It is an accomplishment that none other previously released movies, including "The X-Files: I Want to Believe" and "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor", can achieve.
Although it has won the Wednesday battle and it has an impressive opening, box office analysts still think that "Express" could not dethrone the "Batman Begins" sequel from its champion seat this coming weekend predicting that the R-rated film would only wound up around $25 million over the three-days weekend.
Still, on the possibility of it giving a hard time to "Dark Knight", Sony's chairman of worldwide marketing and distribution Jeff Blake sounds optimistic. "We think we can give 'The Dark Knight' a run for No. 1, but nobody's been able to beat it yet," he claimed. "I think we've got a shot."
- Harley Quinn and The Joker Sport Very Different Tattoos in Early 'Suicide Squad' Concept Art
- 'Gotham': Cameron Monaghan Teases Disfigured Jerome With These Photos
- Spoiler Alert! 'Arrow' Showrunner Unveils Season 5 Finale Scene
- Trouble in Paradise? Jennifer Aniston's 'Tired' Justin Theroux Chooses His Career Over Her
- The Rock Has Some Epic Fights in New 'Jumanji' On-Set Photos
- Lady GaGa Causes Twitter Frenzy With Her 'Unrecognizable' Face on 'X Factor'
- New 'The Flash' Set Photos Reveal New Villain and a Mysterious Character
- Report: 'Game of Thrones' Books UFC Fighter Conor McGregor for Upcoming Season