Creator Wants Creepier Venom for 'Spider-Man' Spin-Off
Days earlier, Sony Pictures has been reported to be moving ahead with their plan on developing "Spider-Man" spin-off based on one of the superhero's villain, "Venom (2010)". With that in mind, the character's creator Todd McFarlane shares what he wishes for the feature film project about the thick black-symbiote-supervillain.
Noting that Venom is generally created a monster first with a guy underneath, the comic book artist expressed his hope that the movie will present a creepier-looking villain, instead of a kid-friendly baddie. "You don't want to scare the kids, because the kids love the character," he said. "But I think you could add a little bit of a creep factor. I mean, it never bugged me to watch Frankenstein as a kid, so you could have a little bit of it, as long as you have a good story backing it up."
Though he suggests that Venom should be creepier in the spin-off, he isn't sure that it is a good idea to put a villain as a central character in a movie. Using Halle Berry's 2004 "Catwoman", he explained, "I'm thinking about how they want to make anti-heroes nowadays. Those don't work. The reason they're so cool as a bad guy is because they're bad. And as soon as you try to give too much humanity to them, then you go, no! Now they're not as good as a bad guy because you're trying to redeem them."
"You're trying to give something to people when they leave," the 47-year-old added. "I don't know if you can have a movie about a guy who goes out there and maims everybody and wins all the time," he said. "I don't know what their mindset is and how they can get there other than adding too much niceness to him, but we'll see."
- Kylie Jenner Launches Kyshadow Collection
- Rob Kardashian Fights With Blac Chyna, Deletes All Signs of Her on Instagram
- Four New Christina Grimmie Music Videos Will Be Released in August
- Justin Timberlake's Fan Arrested After Slapping the Singer at Golf Tournament
- Comic-Con: 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Footage and 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Villain Revealed
- Leonardo DiCaprio Reunites With Nina Agdal After 'Caught Flirting' With Another Woman at His Gala
- Watch Henry Cavill Walk Around in Mask and Hilariously Prank Will Smith at Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: New 'Fantastic Beasts' Trailer Shows Newt Scamander Recapturing the Creatures