'Dark Knight' Officially Broke the 400 Million Dollars Record
If "Shrek 2" needed 43 days to set a record of fastest selling movie to reach the $400 million milestone, "The Dark Knight" requires less than half the time the DreamWorks' animation movie took to break the record. Having been screened in theaters nationwide since July 18, the Christopher Nolan-directed flick finally reaches the $400.04 million number after 18 days of viewing.
The $400 million tally is the accumulation of the $393.75 million the movie have garnered up to Sunday, August 3 with the additional of $6.28 million it pulled in on Monday, August 4. With the new cume, "Dark Knight" lands at the eighth place of the all-time high-grossing film list. Still, it could climb up to the seventh place on Tuesday passing "Spider-Man" final number of $403 million. In fact, many box office analysts believe that it could go up the ladder up to the second slot overtaking the original "Star Wars" which raked in $461 million.
Despite its impressive run at the box office and its record-breaking reputations, many doubt that "Dark Knight" could dethrone "Titanic" from its title of the highest grossing film of all time. Observing the slowing down of the ticket sales, the action film starring Christian Bale, Heath Ledger and Aaron Eckhart is predicted to only gross about $500 million domestically, $100 million less than "Titanic" $601 million record.
In overseas sales, it has been reported that the sequel to "Batman Begins" has been pushed to the second place this weekend by "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor". It took in another $22.4 million to add to the total of $202.5 million internationally. It means that "Dark Knight" has dug up $602.5 million from moviegoers around the world.
- Watch Fifth Harmony Bring Out Ty Dolla $ign for Mini Concert on 'Today' Show
- Get First Images and Details of 'Cars 3'
- Will There Be More 'Matrix' Movies? Here's What Joel Silver Says
- Topher Grace Marries Fiancee Ashley Hinshaw in Private Ceremony
- 'The Bachelorette' Recap: Proposals and Villain Already in Week 2
- Katy Perry's Twitter Account Is Hacked, Posts Tweet About Taylor Swift
- Why Cyclops Should Be the Leader of the Next 'X-Men' Franchise
- Diplo Reuniting With Justin Bieber and MO for Major Lazer's New Song