M.I.A. Building Schools for Liberia With Paycheck
M.I.A., the outspoken British/Sri Lankan rapper is giving back to the community with the paycheck that she earned for performing. The star will make use of her $100,000 salary that she earned as the guest singer of MTV Movie Awards after-party on Sunday, June 1 to build schools in Liberia.
"They're giving me $100,000. Not bad, eh? I'm going to use it to build schools in Liberia," M.I.A. who climbed on a photo booth told the crowd. "It costs $52,000 to build a school for 1,000." After two civil wars that ended in 1996 and 2003 respectively, Liberia has been in a state of flux that cost many lives and crushed the country's economy.
M.I.A. will be among many celebrities who aid other countries by establishing a school. Talk show queen Oprah Winfrey has set up an education system in west African countries while Madonna reportedly will open a school for girls in Malawi, the country where she adopted son David Banda.
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie