M.I.A. Building Schools for Liberia With Paycheck
M.I.A., the outspoken British/Sri Lankan rapper is giving back to the community with the paycheck that she earned for performing. The star will make use of her $100,000 salary that she earned as the guest singer of MTV Movie Awards after-party on Sunday, June 1 to build schools in Liberia.
"They're giving me $100,000. Not bad, eh? I'm going to use it to build schools in Liberia," M.I.A. who climbed on a photo booth told the crowd. "It costs $52,000 to build a school for 1,000." After two civil wars that ended in 1996 and 2003 respectively, Liberia has been in a state of flux that cost many lives and crushed the country's economy.
M.I.A. will be among many celebrities who aid other countries by establishing a school. Talk show queen Oprah Winfrey has set up an education system in west African countries while Madonna reportedly will open a school for girls in Malawi, the country where she adopted son David Banda.
- 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Features Surprise Return of 'Iron Man' Character
- Jamie Foxx Says Dating at 49 Is 'Tough' Amid Katie Holmes Romance Rumors
- Fans Are Losing It Over Eminem's New Beard - See Their Hilarious Reactions
- Stephen Colbert Announces Plan to Run for President in 2020, Asks Russians' Help for His Campaign
- Tupac Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Creators Slapped With Copyright Infringement Lawsuit
- Caitlyn Jenner Fuels Dating Rumors With This Blonde Beauty
- Snoop Dogg Denies Mocking His 'Nephew' Young Thug in 'Moment I Feared' Video
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' Season 9 Finale: Does Your Favorite Win?