M.I.A. Building Schools for Liberia With Paycheck
M.I.A., the outspoken British/Sri Lankan rapper is giving back to the community with the paycheck that she earned for performing. The star will make use of her $100,000 salary that she earned as the guest singer of MTV Movie Awards after-party on Sunday, June 1 to build schools in Liberia.
"They're giving me $100,000. Not bad, eh? I'm going to use it to build schools in Liberia," M.I.A. who climbed on a photo booth told the crowd. "It costs $52,000 to build a school for 1,000." After two civil wars that ended in 1996 and 2003 respectively, Liberia has been in a state of flux that cost many lives and crushed the country's economy.
M.I.A. will be among many celebrities who aid other countries by establishing a school. Talk show queen Oprah Winfrey has set up an education system in west African countries while Madonna reportedly will open a school for girls in Malawi, the country where she adopted son David Banda.
More M.I.A. News
- Gavin Rossdale Follows Gwen Stefani's Lead, Joins 'The Voice UK' as New Judge
- Report: Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis Expecting Baby Boy
- Watch Benedict Cumberbatch's Full Performance With Pink Floyd's David Gilmour at London Concert
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Reportedly 'Living Separate Lives' Before Split
- What Breakup? Rob Kardashian Snapchats Blac Chyna's Belly Amid Baby Shower Drama
- 'NCIS' Showrunner Gary Glasberg Dies in His Sleep, the Show 'Will Not Be the Same Without Him'
- Idris Elba Teams Up With Pickpocket to Take on Terrorists in New 'The Take' Trailer
- Arrow Meets Supergirl in New Teaser of Upcoming Crossover