'The Hobbit' Production Potentially Jeopardized
Back in February 2008, a disturbing news broke out. At the time, it was reported that the fate of the two J.R.R. Tolkien's adaptation movies, "The Hobbit" and its sequel, are seriously questioned due to the fact that a lawsuit against New Line Cinema has been filed by the Tolkien's estate. Time goes by and it seems that the fantasy film will continue on its schedule. However, recent report hints that there might be a problem on the production after all.
On May 25, Times Online reported that the development of this Tolkien's adaptation novel may be put on hold or even worse may not be done after Christopher Tolkien, the son of "Hobbit" author, exposed that he will try to stop the making of the film as the continuance of the long-running court battle with the producers of "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy who owed his family more than $80 million from the blockbuster film series. Reportedly, on June 6, the 83-year-old will go in front of a Californian judge to claim a rights in terminating "The Hobbit" filming rights.
The rather upsetting news is coming out only weeks before the preparation for the filming in New Zealand is due to begin. The two in-development films are set to be produced by Peter Jackson, the filmmaker of "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy and to be directed by "Pan's Labyrinth" helmer Guillermo del Toro. The two films allegedly will see some of the "LOTR" stars, including Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis and Viggo Mortensen, back to reprise their roles. The first movie will follow young Bilbo Baggins on his adventure to claim back a treasure taken from him and a band of Dwarfs from a dragon named Smaug and how he ends up gaining possession on the One Ring, whereas the second one will serve as the bridge between "The Hobbit" and "LOTR".
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Addresses Joker Fan Theory
- Blac Chyna Gets Love From Kim While Attending a Kardashian Family Event Sans Rob
- Khloe Kardashian Slams Donald Trump as Elizabeth Banks Likens Him to 'Hunger Games' Character
- Not a Wise Spender, Kylie Jenner Is Reportedly Nearly Broke
- 'Suicide Squad' Star Ike Barinholtz Welcomes Second Baby With Wife
- T.J. Miller Parties Hard in First 'Office Christmas Party' Trailer
- Watch Stephen Colbert Crash and Get Kicked Off DNC Stage During 'Hunger Games' Spoof
- Kendall Jenner on Freeing Her Nipples: 'I Don't See What the Big Deal Is'