Leona Lewis Joins David Beckham to Close the Beijing Olympics
Appreciation for new British sensation Leona Lewis keeps on coming, the latest one to acknowledge her musical quality is the Olympics' committee which taps her to perform at the upcoming Beijing Olympics. Leona is being set to sing at the closing ceremony of the annual mega sports event, which will also be the official handover ceremony from Beijing to London as the next host in 2012.
Beside Leona, another England superstar that will also play a part on the ceremony is soccer player David Beckham. Confirming the two celebrities involvements on the event, a source from the London 2012 Olympics said, "Leona and Beckham have accepted the invitation to sprinkle some stardust on the show."
The source also revealed the reason Leona and Beckham were picked to perform on the closing ceremony, to be held on August 24, claiming that they are the ones who represent what would London like. "They epitomize what London 2012 is about," the source explained. "Leona is a young global star from London who has risen from nothing. Becks has glamour and a profile around the world. He was also a key figure in the bid to win the Games for London."
Previously, Leona herself has been added as one of the artists to perform at the celebration of Nelson Mandela's 90th birthday concert, that will be held at the Hyde Park in London on June 27. On the event the pop singer will be joined by other famous names, such as Queen and Annie Lennox.
- Kim Kardashian on Butt Pads Allegations: 'I Don't Need Them'
- Lil' Kim Cancels Performance at Essence Festival
- Tyga Romances Blonde Beauty in '1 of 1' Music Video
- David Foster's Daughters: Yolanda Hadid Is Not Dying If She Continues to Be on Reality Show
- Alexander Skarsgard Laughs Off Wedding Plan Rumor
- Judi Dench Gets Her First Tattoo at Her 81st Birthday
- Keri Russell Reveals Her Baby's Gender and Name
- Debby Ryan Gets Probation After Pleading No Contest to DUI