Leona Lewis Joins David Beckham to Close the Beijing Olympics
Appreciation for new British sensation Leona Lewis keeps on coming, the latest one to acknowledge her musical quality is the Olympics' committee which taps her to perform at the upcoming Beijing Olympics. Leona is being set to sing at the closing ceremony of the annual mega sports event, which will also be the official handover ceremony from Beijing to London as the next host in 2012.
Beside Leona, another England superstar that will also play a part on the ceremony is soccer player David Beckham. Confirming the two celebrities involvements on the event, a source from the London 2012 Olympics said, "Leona and Beckham have accepted the invitation to sprinkle some stardust on the show."
The source also revealed the reason Leona and Beckham were picked to perform on the closing ceremony, to be held on August 24, claiming that they are the ones who represent what would London like. "They epitomize what London 2012 is about," the source explained. "Leona is a young global star from London who has risen from nothing. Becks has glamour and a profile around the world. He was also a key figure in the bid to win the Games for London."
Previously, Leona herself has been added as one of the artists to perform at the celebration of Nelson Mandela's 90th birthday concert, that will be held at the Hyde Park in London on June 27. On the event the pop singer will be joined by other famous names, such as Queen and Annie Lennox.
- Live Nation Confirms Jeremih Is Removed From PARTYNEXTDOOR's Tour
- Jay-Z Turns 47! Beyonce, Tina Knowles and Kelly Rowland Celebrate Rapper's Birthday in L.A.
- 'Walking Dead' Star Steven Yeun Ties the Knot with Joana Pak
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd Kicked Out of Childbirth Class - Here Is Why!
- 'Luke Cage' Renewed for Season 2 at Netflix
- 'Glee' Star Becca Tobin Marries Zach Martin - Check Out Her Wedding Pics!
- Donald Trump Calls 'SNL' Unwatchable, Alec Baldwin Reacts
- Jensen Ackles and Danneel Harris Welcome Twin Babies