Justin Timberlake Signed on to Produce MTV's 'The Phone'
Despite his success in both movie and music industries, Justin Timberlake keeps adding yet another career venture into his resume. He, as it's been announced by MTV on Friday, May 9, has signed on to executive produce a new reality show for the youth-oriented cable television network, which is about to be called "The Phone".
The program reportedly will be based on a Dutch reality show format, beginning each episode with two hidden cell phones ringing at opposite ends of a major city. Contestants who answer the phones are given five seconds to decide if they want to play along for a cash prize, and then a guide on the other end of the line will give them a mission to complete before the time runs out.
The guide will keep communicating with the contestants via cell phone, as a helicopter in the sky tracks their every move, exploit and error - with each failed task chipping away at the cash prize. MTV said their version of the new show is "reminiscent of films like 'The Bourne Identity' and 'The Game.'"
Tony Disanto, MTV executive vice president of programming and series development, explained "Genre-busting and reinvention is at the core of what we do, and 'The Phone' does just that. Each week will be an action-packed mini-movie."
"The Phone" will be produced by reality specialist FremantleMedia North America and is scheduled to premiere this coming fall. No specific launch date has been disclosed thus far.
More Justin Timberlake News
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones