Heath Ledger's 'Heath' Wins Australia's Archibald Prize
Despite his sudden and shocking death, still Heath Ledger is remembered as a prominent figure in entertainment industry, especially in movie business. Almost four months after his death, the late actor is having his portrait, dubbed "Heath", being chosen as people's favorite at this year's Australia's Archibald Prize Exhibition, which involved 32,000 people voting.
"Heath", which was one of the many portraits participated in the contest, was created by Heath's friend, Australian artist Vincent Fantauzzo, at the late actor's family's Perth home in December 2007. The portrait features three versions of Heath; one haunted-looking rendition in the center of the canvas flanked by two whispering figures on either side.
Winning the People's Choice Award for his painting of Heath at the competition, which is considered one of Australia's most prominent art prizes, Fantauzzo received a $2,500 and $1,000 gift certificate with his award. The the prize-winning "Heath", according to a spokesperson for the Art Gallery of NSW, where the prize was awarded Thursday, May 8, will be donated to the gallery.
Commented on the winning Fantauzzo said, "I think this painting was extra special because Heath and I really collaborated and we took the idea really seriously. I'd like to thank Heath and also Heath's family for all of their support during the exhibition."
In related news, Heath's Joker dolls which were produced by toy giant Mattel reportedly are sold out in minutes by the time they were released to the market. The film itself, "The Dark Knight", will be in Australian theaters July 17.
More Heath Ledger News
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal