Julianne Moore's 'Blindness' to Open Cannes
Set to have its theatrical release on September 19, the psychological thriller "Blindness" will be having a special early screening as it has been chosen to be the opener of the 61st annual Cannes Film Festival. The choosing of the Julianne Moore and Mark Ruffalo-starrer film as the opening movie was let out by the festival organizers on Tuesday, April 29.
Directed by "The Constant Gardener" helmer Fernando Meirelles, the novel adaptation from Nobel laureate Jose Saramago is set to kick off the festival on Wednesday, May 14. Variety noted that the movie about an epidemic attacking a city and leaving its inhabitants to lose their visions without explanation is also included in the competition line-up for Palme d'Or alongside two other new additions, Joaquin Phoenix and Gwyneth Paltrow-starrer "Two Lovers" and Laurent Cantet's "Entre les murs" ("Between the Walls").
Aside from announcing the chosen opening film, the organizers also revealed that Barry Levinson's "What Just Happened?" will be closing the special film event on Sunday, May 25. Featuring a strong cast ensemble that includes Robert De Niro, Bruce Willis, Robin Wright Penn and Sean Penn, "What Just Happened?" is a dramedy that centers on the struggle of a fading Hollywood producer in making his latest feature film.
This year's Cannes Film Festival is scheduled to be held from May 14 to May 25, 2008 and as usual, it will take place at the Palais des Festivals et des Congres in Cannes, France. The official movies line up for the private festival has been announced on a press conference held at Intercontinental Le Grand Hotel, Paris on Wednesday, April 23 and it is further reported that this year's Palme d'Or top prize for the official selection will be presented by De Niro. More detailed information about the event can be seen at Festival-Cannes.fr.
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance