Clashing With Inauguration Day, 81st Academy Awards' Noms Announcement Delayed
As the scheduled key dates of the 81st Annual Academy Awards have been announced on Monday, April 14 by Academy President Sid Ganis, it is unveiled that the presentation of the 2009 Oscar's nominations won't be set up like usual because of the presidential inauguration. According to reports, the nominations announcement is going to be revealed two days after its usual schedule.
Traditionally, Academy Awards' gongs will be reveled on a Tuesday about four weeks before the awards presentation ceremony. However, since the targeted Tuesday, which falls on January 20, 2009, happens to be the day a new U.S. president will be initiated, the event has been pushed back to the following Thursday on January 22, 2009. Reasoning for the delaying schedule, academy executive administrator Ric Robertson revealed to Associated Press, "It didn't make any sense for us to try to compete with (the inauguration) from a news point of view."
Adding to the ground of the changes, Robertson explained that the Academy's board of governors has to be aware of the other major events stating, "We have to look at other major global events." He further gave out examples stating that in 2006 due to the closing ceremony of the Winter Olympics, Oscar ceremony had to be moved from its schedule on the last Sunday in February. He also added the show was moved from late March to late February in 2004 because they have to withstand against "awards fatigue" and also "to maintain a higher level of interest and excitement".
The awards presentation ceremony of the 81st Academy Awards is going to be at the Kodak Theater on Sunday, February 22, 2009 and it will be broadcast live on ABC. Other information about the Awards can be seen at Oscars.org.
The 81st Academy Awards' key schedules:
- Monday, December 1, 2008: Official Screen Credits forms due
- Friday, December 26, 2008: Nominations ballots mailed
- Monday, January 12, 2009: Nominations polls close 5 P.M. PT
- Thursday, January 22, 2009: Nominations announced 5:30 A.M. PT, Samuel Goldwyn Theater
- Wednesday, January 28, 2009: Final ballots mailed
- Monday, February 2, 2009: Nominees Luncheon
- Saturday, February 7, 2009: Scientific and Technical Achievement Awards presentation
- Tuesday, February 17, 2009: Final polls close 5 P.M. PT
- Sunday, February 22, 2009: 81st Annual Academy Awards presentation
- Oscars 2017: 'La La Land' Leads With 14 Nods, 7 Black Actors Are Among 20 Acting Nominees
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci
- Alec Baldwin Will Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the 17th Time
- Sabrina Carpenter Slays a Mash-Up of Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' and TLC's 'No Scrubs'