Confirmed: Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz 'Are Happily Engaged'
Hollywood's most kept secret is no longer an unconfirmed speculation as it has just been officially confirmed that Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz "are happily engaged." The celebrity couple made public the engagement report on Wentz's official Website on Wednesday, April 9.
"BREAKING NEWS, THIS JUST IN FROM ASHLEE SIMPSON," the post on Wentz's Website read. "We know there has been a lot of speculation recently about Pete and I and we wanted our fans to be the first to know, because you guys are the best. Yes, we are thrilled to share that we are happily engaged."
The statement furthermore read, "Thank you for all of your support and well wishes - it means the world to us. We consider this to be a very private matter, but we wanted you to hear it straight from us. Ashlee and Pete."
Ashlee and Wentz, the bassist, back-up vocalist, and primary lyricist of Chicago-based band Fall Out Boy, have been romantically linked since the fall of 2006 when they were spotted kissing at a New York City nightclub. Speculation that they were engaged began in January 2008 when Ashlee was seen wearing a diamond ring on her engagement finger. A representative for Ashlee however quashed the engagement speculation, telling People "She is not engaged!"
Way back in February, Ashlee was quoted as saying, "It just means that he hasn't asked my dad yet," when being asked about the diamond ring she was spotted wearing on her engagement finger during the taping of an interview for Fuse TV's "The Sauce." She later claimed the ring simply as "promise ring".
E! News, in the meantime, cited a source close to Ashlee and Wentz as saying that Wentz asked Ashlee's father Joe Simpson for his permission "at one point over the last two weeks." "He doesn't look like it, but Pete is a very traditional guy, and he knows Joe is too," so said the source. "He never would have asked her without Joe's permission."
The source then went on adding, that "Joe likes Wentz because he is not Nick Lachey. Pete is the furthest thing from a macho man, and Joe likes that."
- 'The Walking Dead' Was Supposed to End in Alexandria, but It Has Changed
- Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Movie Casts Mackenzie Foy as Clara
- Video: Kanye West Disses Taylor Swift While Crashing Drake's Concert
- Ben Affleck Risks His Life in New 'The Accountant' Trailer
- An Uber Driver Failing to Recognize Lorde Brags About Another Celebrity Passenger
- Scott Disick and Khloe Kardashian Make Fun of Dating Rumors While Posing for a Selfie
- Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas Bring 'Camp Rock' Back to D.C. Concert. See Their Onstage Reunion
- Is Lindsay Lohan Really Pregnant? See Picture of Her Smoking in Sardinia