Hometown Desperate to Honor Madonna with a Key to the City
Madonna's former hometown is changing its opinion about giving her an honor. Mayor Charles M. Brunner has written a letter to the singer to offer her a key to the city, according to The Bay City Times.
"We have always been proud of your accomplishments but recently your induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame reminded us that we need to honor you with the highest honor that Bay City can offer," Charles M. Brunner wrote in the letter. No further details on when the letter is delivered to the pop star or her response about the formal invitation.
Madonna was considered for the same honor way back in 1985 upon the success of her "Like a Virgin" album. Some officials, however, denied the idea taking into account that they weren't too proud of Madonna's accomplishments which they considered as too risque. The city also refused to accept a sculpture of Madonna in the late 1980s from an Italian artist because city officials believed her popularity would fade over time.
On the plan to give Madonna a key to the city, Brunner is said to have been lobbying the singer's father to help them persuade her to accept the offer. The celebration may also include a movie screening and a Madonna tribute album featuring local musicians covering her biggest hits should the star agrees with the idea.
In addition to the key to the city, Guy Greve, the president of the Bay Arts Council, has revealed that he plans to commission a new sculpture of Madonna striking one of her famous poses as an "homage for her artistic contributions."
More Madonna News
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Series Finale Photos: Get First Look at Aria's Wedding Dress
- Is Khloe Kardashian Pregnant? Tristan Thompson Believes She Will Be the 'Best Mom'
- Insecure Kylie Jenner Thinks She's Ugly
- Beyonce Writes a Song About Her Newborn Twins, Plans to Release New Album Before Coachella 2018
- Gillian Anderson Goes Makeup-Free and Ditches Bra During Her Stay in Italy
- Kate Beckinsale Can't Keep Her Hands Off Toy Boy Matt Rife During Movie Date
- Kevin Feige Confirms Miles Morales Is Part of MCU
- Protective Boyfriend The Weeknd Tells Selena Gomez to Cover Up