Hometown Desperate to Honor Madonna with a Key to the City
Madonna's former hometown is changing its opinion about giving her an honor. Mayor Charles M. Brunner has written a letter to the singer to offer her a key to the city, according to The Bay City Times.
"We have always been proud of your accomplishments but recently your induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame reminded us that we need to honor you with the highest honor that Bay City can offer," Charles M. Brunner wrote in the letter. No further details on when the letter is delivered to the pop star or her response about the formal invitation.
Madonna was considered for the same honor way back in 1985 upon the success of her "Like a Virgin" album. Some officials, however, denied the idea taking into account that they weren't too proud of Madonna's accomplishments which they considered as too risque. The city also refused to accept a sculpture of Madonna in the late 1980s from an Italian artist because city officials believed her popularity would fade over time.
On the plan to give Madonna a key to the city, Brunner is said to have been lobbying the singer's father to help them persuade her to accept the offer. The celebration may also include a movie screening and a Madonna tribute album featuring local musicians covering her biggest hits should the star agrees with the idea.
In addition to the key to the city, Guy Greve, the president of the Bay Arts Council, has revealed that he plans to commission a new sculpture of Madonna striking one of her famous poses as an "homage for her artistic contributions."
More Madonna News
- Hilary Duff Posts Steamy Throwback Pic With Beau Matthew Koma
- Lady GaGa Is Obsessed With Barbra Streisand
- 'Katrina: American Crime Story' Taps Matthew Broderick to Play Michael D. Brown
- Lauren Graham and Dylan McDermott to Lead FOX's New Comedy Pilots
- Kanye West to Launch Makeup for Men
- Emma Watson Shines Like a Princess at 'Beauty and the Beast' Premiere in London
- Listen to Zedd and Alessia Cara's New Single 'Stay'
- Oops! Gigi Hadid Stumbles During Moschino Show at Milan Fashion Week