Rapper Remy Ma Convicted of Shooting a Woman
Remy Ma was convicted Thursday, March 27 of shooting a woman outside a Manhattan nightclub in July 2007. The rapper was convicted of assault, illegal weapon possession and attempted coercion, all of which put her under a maximum 25 years in prison.
The New York State Supreme Court jury cleared her of charges of gang assault, witness tampering, witness intimidation and assault in a separate incident in which her associates are accused of beating up the boyfriend of a witness. Ma was immediately taken into custody after the verdict was read, during when she quietly wiped away tears.
The judge denied a request from Ma's attorney to have the performer released on bail until her sentencing on April 23.
Ma fired a shot toward a childhood acquaintance, identified as Makeda Barnes Joseph, outside of a nightclub in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood on July 14, 2007 upon suspected that she had stolen $3,000 from her purse. She demanded that Makeda dumped the contents of her purse.
Makeda denied she had taken the rapper's money and refused to dump the contents of her purse. Both women were struggling over the bag when Ma's gun went off accidentally. Makeda, who was shot in the abdomen, testified that she underwent three operations during a three-week hospital stay.
Ma's lawyer, who called the shooting accidental and suggested Makeda was exaggerating the facts to win a large sum in a separate civil suit, plans to appeal the ruling.
- Are They Splitting Up? Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Thompson Have 'Explosive' Fights
- 'Last Ship' Halts Production as Eric Dane Battles Depression
- Little Mix, Justin Bieber and Bruno Mars Among Winners at Radio Disney Music Awards 2017
- Radio Disney Music Awards 2017: Noah Cyrus, Camila Cabello and Sabrina Carpenter Stun on Red Carpet
- Control Freak Angelina Jolie 'Keeps Tabs' on Brad Pitt: She Has Google Alert on His Name
- Kelly Ripa Will Announce New 'Live!' Co-Host on Monday
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Speculations After Seen Shopping Together in NYC
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased