Rapper Remy Ma Convicted of Shooting a Woman
Remy Ma was convicted Thursday, March 27 of shooting a woman outside a Manhattan nightclub in July 2007. The rapper was convicted of assault, illegal weapon possession and attempted coercion, all of which put her under a maximum 25 years in prison.
The New York State Supreme Court jury cleared her of charges of gang assault, witness tampering, witness intimidation and assault in a separate incident in which her associates are accused of beating up the boyfriend of a witness. Ma was immediately taken into custody after the verdict was read, during when she quietly wiped away tears.
The judge denied a request from Ma's attorney to have the performer released on bail until her sentencing on April 23.
Ma fired a shot toward a childhood acquaintance, identified as Makeda Barnes Joseph, outside of a nightclub in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood on July 14, 2007 upon suspected that she had stolen $3,000 from her purse. She demanded that Makeda dumped the contents of her purse.
Makeda denied she had taken the rapper's money and refused to dump the contents of her purse. Both women were struggling over the bag when Ma's gun went off accidentally. Makeda, who was shot in the abdomen, testified that she underwent three operations during a three-week hospital stay.
Ma's lawyer, who called the shooting accidental and suggested Makeda was exaggerating the facts to win a large sum in a separate civil suit, plans to appeal the ruling.
More Remy Ma News
- Brad Pitt Is Cocky General in Teaser for Netflix's 'War Machine'
- Oprah Winfrey Considers Running for President, Thanks to Donald Trump
- Andi Dorfman Sparks Plastic Surgery Rumors
- Madonna Is Turning to Ex Sean Penn Amid Adoption Crisis
- 'Beauty and the Beast' Will Feature Disney's First Gay Character
- Jay-Z and Chris Martin Enjoy Night Out in WeHo
- Kris Is Convincing Caitlyn Jenner to Return to 'KUWTK' After 'I Am Cait' Cancellation
- Lady GaGa Confirms Coachella Gig With Line-Up Photo