Heather Mills Won Nearly 50 Million Dollars Divorce Settlement, Felt Glad It's Over
High Court Justice Hugh Bennett has on Monday, March 17 issued a ruling in a London courtroom, awarded Heather Mills 24.3 million pound sterling or nearly $50 million in the final ruling in her divorce battle with Sir Paul McCartney. The amount of money was a fifth of what she had sought from the former Beatle's 400 million pound sterling fortune.
According to a summary of the ruling, Mills was seeking almost $250 million divorce settlement, while McCartney had offered to pay her a staggering $31.6 million, including her own assets, which the court assessed at $15.6 million. As for Mills' nearly $50 million settlement, it said to include a lump sum of $33 million, plus the assets she currently holds.
Declared herself "very, very, very pleased" with the outcome, Mills told reporters outside the courthouse, "It was an incredible result to secure mine and my daughter's future."
And while McCartney left court without saying a word, Mills went on telling reporters in an impromptu news conference on the courthouse step that she would not appeal the settlement yet planned to challenge the judge's decision to publish his full ruling, saying such details as where her daughter goes to school could compromise the child's security.
McCartney and Mills married at an Irish castle in June 2002, four years after the death of McCartney's first wife, Linda McCartney, of breast cancer. They have one daughter together, Beatrice Milly McCartney, who was born October 28, 2003.
The couple separated four years after walking down the aisle, and McCartney filed for divorce back in July 2006.
- 'The Bachelor' Recap: Corinne Can't Have 'a Normal Relationship', Nick Picks Top Three
- A Little Too Early? Kourtney Kardashian Lets 4-Year-Old Daughter Penelope Wear a Lip Ring
- 'Gossip Girl' Alum Penn Badgley Marries Domino Kirke in Brooklyn Courthouse
- 'Dancing with the Stars': 'Glee' Star Heather Morris Joins Season 24, Some Pairings Are Revealed
- DJ Khaled Films Top Secret Video With Justin Bieber, Chance The Rapper and More
- Oscar Accountants Issue an Apology Over Best Picture Blunder
- Halle Berry Rocks Big Curly Locks at the Academy Awards
- 'Batman v Superman', 'Hillary's America' Are Top Losers at Razzie Awards