'Atonement' Victorious at 2008 Empire Awards
The British romantic drama "Atonement" added more winning statuettes to its awards collection as the Focus Feature's film became the biggest winner at the 2008 Sony Ericsson Empire Awards. Nominated for six categories, the post-war drama nailed a deserving three kudos at the awards ceremony at Grosvenor House Hotel on Sunday, March 9.
On the occasion, the Joe Wright-directed film was hailed to be the Best British Film besting over its tough contenders, "Control", "This Is England", "Hot Fuzz" and "Sunshine". The acclaimed movie also managed to bring kudos for its two leading stars, Keira Knightley and James McAvoy as the Best Actress and Best Actor winners respectively.
Unfortunately, "Atonement" could not present its helmer, Wright, with Best Director prize as the award went to "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" director, David Yates. Other slipping prizes were Sony Ericsson Soundtrack Award and Best Newcomer, which both were given to biopic drama "Control" and its star Sam Reilly.
Further, Paul Greengrass' action drama starring Matt Damon "The Bourne Ultimatum" was honored with Best Film prize as the Universal Pictures' movie triumphed over "Order of the Phoenix", "Ratatouille", "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" and "Zodiac". Matthew Vaughn's drama fantasy "Stardust" won Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Edgar Wright's action comedy "Hot Fuzz" got Best Comedy, whereas "American Gangster" and "28 Weeks Later..." nailed Best Thriller and Best Horror in respective order. Additionally, the complete list of 2008 Sony Ericsson Empire Awards' winner can be read below or on EmpireOnline.com.
Empire Awards' Winners List:
- Best Film: "The Bourne Ultimatum"
- Best British Film: "Atonement"
- Best Comedy: "Hot Fuzz"
- Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy: "Stardust"
- Best Thriller: "American Gangster"
- Best Horror: "28 Weeks Later..."
- Best Director: David Yates, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"
- Best Actor: James McAvoy, "Atonement"
- Best Actress: Keira Knightley, "Atonement"
- Best Newcomer: Sam Reilly, "Control"
- Empire Icon Award: Ewan McGregor
- Empire Inspiration Award: Guillermo Del Toro
- Sony Ericsson Soundtrack Award: "Control"
- Outstanding Contribution to British Film: Shane Meadows
- Done In 60 Seconds: "Titanic"
- Katy Perry Wants to Celebrate Her $25M 'American Idol' Paycheck With a 'Beautiful Man'
- Hailey Baldwin Goes Braless for Maxim as She's Dubbed the World's Sexiest Woman
- 'The Voice' Live Finale Part 2: And the Winner of Season 12 Is....
- Kim Kardashian Faces Backlash Over Insensitive Tribute to Manchester Attack Victims
- Future Enlists Kendrick Lamar on 'Mask Off' Remix - Listen
- Karrueche Tran Denied Permanent Restraining Order Against Chris Brown
- Rita Ora Flaunts Ample Cleavage in Plunging Mini Dress at De Grisogono Party in Cannes
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Finale: Does the Right Contestant Win Season 24?