'Atonement' Victorious at 2008 Empire Awards
The British romantic drama "Atonement" added more winning statuettes to its awards collection as the Focus Feature's film became the biggest winner at the 2008 Sony Ericsson Empire Awards. Nominated for six categories, the post-war drama nailed a deserving three kudos at the awards ceremony at Grosvenor House Hotel on Sunday, March 9.
On the occasion, the Joe Wright-directed film was hailed to be the Best British Film besting over its tough contenders, "Control", "This Is England", "Hot Fuzz" and "Sunshine". The acclaimed movie also managed to bring kudos for its two leading stars, Keira Knightley and James McAvoy as the Best Actress and Best Actor winners respectively.
Unfortunately, "Atonement" could not present its helmer, Wright, with Best Director prize as the award went to "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" director, David Yates. Other slipping prizes were Sony Ericsson Soundtrack Award and Best Newcomer, which both were given to biopic drama "Control" and its star Sam Reilly.
Further, Paul Greengrass' action drama starring Matt Damon "The Bourne Ultimatum" was honored with Best Film prize as the Universal Pictures' movie triumphed over "Order of the Phoenix", "Ratatouille", "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" and "Zodiac". Matthew Vaughn's drama fantasy "Stardust" won Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Edgar Wright's action comedy "Hot Fuzz" got Best Comedy, whereas "American Gangster" and "28 Weeks Later..." nailed Best Thriller and Best Horror in respective order. Additionally, the complete list of 2008 Sony Ericsson Empire Awards' winner can be read below or on EmpireOnline.com.
Empire Awards' Winners List:
- Best Film: "The Bourne Ultimatum"
- Best British Film: "Atonement"
- Best Comedy: "Hot Fuzz"
- Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy: "Stardust"
- Best Thriller: "American Gangster"
- Best Horror: "28 Weeks Later..."
- Best Director: David Yates, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"
- Best Actor: James McAvoy, "Atonement"
- Best Actress: Keira Knightley, "Atonement"
- Best Newcomer: Sam Reilly, "Control"
- Empire Icon Award: Ewan McGregor
- Empire Inspiration Award: Guillermo Del Toro
- Sony Ericsson Soundtrack Award: "Control"
- Outstanding Contribution to British Film: Shane Meadows
- Done In 60 Seconds: "Titanic"
- Harley Quinn and The Joker Sport Very Different Tattoos in Early 'Suicide Squad' Concept Art
- 'Gotham': Cameron Monaghan Teases Disfigured Jerome With These Photos
- Spoiler Alert! 'Arrow' Showrunner Unveils Season 5 Finale Scene
- Trouble in Paradise? Jennifer Aniston's 'Tired' Justin Theroux Chooses His Career Over Her
- The Rock Has Some Epic Fights in New 'Jumanji' On-Set Photos
- Lady GaGa Causes Twitter Frenzy With Her 'Unrecognizable' Face on 'X Factor'
- New 'The Flash' Set Photos Reveal New Villain and a Mysterious Character
- Report: 'Game of Thrones' Books UFC Fighter Conor McGregor for Upcoming Season