James Blunt's Producer Demands Her Unpaid Royalties
Linda Perry, one of the people behind James Blunt's big-selling album "Back to Bedlam" has sued Warner Music Group for not paying royalties for her songwriting credit. Perry, represented by her record company, Custard, filed a lawsuit against WMG and its label imprint, Atlantic Records that distributed the album starting from 2004.
Perry's lawsuit that was filed on Tuesday, February 4 in a Manhattan court, claimed a breach of contract where she is supposed to receive million of dollars in royalties. The suit is now not only seeking the royalties to be paid but also a punitive damage costing $5 million.
"Atlantic's wrongdoing follows the far too familiar scenario involving a large multinational corporate record company which takes advantage of a small, independent production company after the production company presents the major label with a promising new artist," the lawsuit stated.
In response to the lawsuit, Will Tanous from WMG said, "Custard has always been and will continue to be compensated in accordance with the terms of its contractual arrangement with Atlantic." All in all, both sides agree Blunt is excluded in the dispute.
Perry is known to be the former lead singer of rock group 4 Non Blondes and the writer of Christina Aguilera's hit "Beautiful". She discovered Blunt in 2003, signed him to Custard and produced "No Bravery", the last track in "Back to Bedlam".
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.02 Preview Promises Revelation of the Saviors' Secret
- Did Faith Evans Just Expose Her Vagina in Front of the Crowd? See the Evidence!
- 'Magnificent Seven' Debuts Strong on Domestic Box Office, 'Bridget Jones's Baby' Tops Overseas
- Josh Brolin Ties the Knot With Longtime Girlfriend Kathryn Boyd. See the Photos
- Drake's 'Views' Returns to No. 1 on Billboard 200 for 13th Week
- Idina Menzel Debuts Engagement Ring From Fiance Aaron Lohr at iHeartRadio Music Festival
- Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux Hold Hands in NYC Following Split Rumors
- Backstreet Boys Joins Florida Georgia Line at iHeartRadio Music Festival. Plus Other Performances!