'Star Trek' Release Date Pushed Back to 2009
Bad news came from the much anticipated sci-fi "Star Trek" as it was said that the fans have to wait longer to watch the J.J. Abrams' movie. Reports claimed that the release date of the sci-fi adventure film has been pushed back from December 25 to May 8, 2009 by Paramount Pictures.
Variety reported that Paramount reasoned that the move was part of a major reshuffle in the Paramount and DreamWorks' release date schedule. The studio further claimed that the shuffling of the date was made because the film is potentially will gross higher if set for summer release. By releasing it on May 8, "Trek" has yet to have strong competitors. But, the film will be opened a week after and before the release of action fantasy "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" and drama thriller "Angels & Demons" respectively.
On the bad news, Slash Film took the positive insight. The movie site reported that the change on the schedule can possibly be a good thing as J.J. Abrams and his crew have more time to do a couple re-shoots, to make some changes on the script and to work on the computer generated effects. The site noted that the director/producer has been frustrated on the set because he was unable to rewrite the script on spot due to his contract with the WGA.
On the related news concerning the release date changes, it was also announced that the release dates of Ben Stiller's comedy "Tropic Thunder", Eddie Murphy's family film "Nowhereland", Renee Zellweger's horror-thriller "Case 39" and Brad Pitt's drama mystery "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" have also been moved. "Thunder" has been moved from its old spot on July 11 to August 15, "Nowhereland" from September 26 to June 12, 2009, "39" from August 22 to April 10, 2009, and "Button" from November 26 to December 19.
On the occasion, Paramount also gave out dates to Martin Scorsese's "Shutter Island" starring Leonardo DiCaprio and also the untitled spoof produced by Marlon Wayans and Shawn Wayans "Untitled Wayans Brothers Project". "Island" is set for October 2, 2009 release, while "Wayans Project" is slated to hit theaters on February 9, 2009.
More Star Trek News
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics