'Star Trek' Release Date Pushed Back to 2009
Bad news came from the much anticipated sci-fi "Star Trek" as it was said that the fans have to wait longer to watch the J.J. Abrams' movie. Reports claimed that the release date of the sci-fi adventure film has been pushed back from December 25 to May 8, 2009 by Paramount Pictures.
Variety reported that Paramount reasoned that the move was part of a major reshuffle in the Paramount and DreamWorks' release date schedule. The studio further claimed that the shuffling of the date was made because the film is potentially will gross higher if set for summer release. By releasing it on May 8, "Trek" has yet to have strong competitors. But, the film will be opened a week after and before the release of action fantasy "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" and drama thriller "Angels & Demons" respectively.
On the bad news, Slash Film took the positive insight. The movie site reported that the change on the schedule can possibly be a good thing as J.J. Abrams and his crew have more time to do a couple re-shoots, to make some changes on the script and to work on the computer generated effects. The site noted that the director/producer has been frustrated on the set because he was unable to rewrite the script on spot due to his contract with the WGA.
On the related news concerning the release date changes, it was also announced that the release dates of Ben Stiller's comedy "Tropic Thunder", Eddie Murphy's family film "Nowhereland", Renee Zellweger's horror-thriller "Case 39" and Brad Pitt's drama mystery "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" have also been moved. "Thunder" has been moved from its old spot on July 11 to August 15, "Nowhereland" from September 26 to June 12, 2009, "39" from August 22 to April 10, 2009, and "Button" from November 26 to December 19.
On the occasion, Paramount also gave out dates to Martin Scorsese's "Shutter Island" starring Leonardo DiCaprio and also the untitled spoof produced by Marlon Wayans and Shawn Wayans "Untitled Wayans Brothers Project". "Island" is set for October 2, 2009 release, while "Wayans Project" is slated to hit theaters on February 9, 2009.
More Star Trek News
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Pics: Look Who's Also Back for Season 7!
- Are They Really Dating? Drake Already Introduces Taylor Swift to His Mom
- Ouch, It Looks Painful! Hugh Jackman Suffers Gunshot Wounds in New 'Logan' Image
- Jasmine Tookes to Rock Victoria's Secret New Fantasy Bra. See and Get Details of the $3M Lingerie!
- J.J. Abrams' 'God Particle' Is Reportedly the Next 'Cloverfield' Movie
- Is This What Tom Hiddleston Thinks of Taylor Swift Getting Close With Drake?
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Gets Premiere Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- Gavin Rossdale Signs Publishing Deal With Roc Nation